• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

Oldest 205's left on the road...

forbeslongden

I'm usually a 205 fan who likes a late model, having a few P reg cars and still on the search for any later, rumours of 1997 R and beyond UK cars come and go, M reg GTi's N reg CTi's etc...

Only recently have I decided to 'book end' and find an early example, I've just bought a car registered on 07/01/1984, of course it's a base model before the 3 door shell was introduced, are they any survivors earlier than this around? Anyone got pictures of the earliest one they've seen? 

Anyway, I REALLY need to stop buying 205s ! 

Telf

hello mate, I think there are a few B reg 205s up in lieston Suffolk that might be for sale..

• Like 1

Telf

my understanding is the early ones rot like hell?

is this true?

forbeslongden

Oh god, I hope not! Mines an A reg one, better get that Waxoyl at the ready :ph34r:

jackherer
3 hours ago, Telf said:

hello mate, I think there are a few B reg 205s up in lieston Suffolk that might be for sale..

He has an A reg too.

Telf

Shhhh Kieran! I know that ! It was a secret

pp205

I saw this one a couple of years ago in Exeter. Apologies for the terrible photo. 

A check kn it shows it is still taxed and has a current MOT. 

If if I recall the red paint was surprisingly good for such an old 205 but not sure whether it was original or not

44A0C265-0CD8-4CEE-B65F-1ABA0E073AEB.jpeg

• Like 1

Ryan
18 hours ago, Telf said:

my understanding is the early ones rot like hell?

is this true?

I think so. IIRC Peugeot only started using galvanised bodies around E-reg, so the early ones tend to be pretty bad these days.

jackherer
12 hours ago, Telf said:

Shhhh Kieran! I know that ! It was a secret

Not a very well kept one, he showed it to me the first time I met him!

forbeslongden

All the early Base models were 5 door weren't they?

ScoobyJawa
5 hours ago, Ryan said:

I think so. IIRC Peugeot only started using galvanised bodies around E-reg, so the early ones tend to be pretty bad these days.

Years ago I saw loads of b reg riddled with rust! Pretty sure they galvanised from around 1986/7 so around e reg like you say, pretty sure all 1.9 were galvanised and they started on a d reg iirc.....

forbeslongden

I guess this is why not many early cars have survived, that is a shame.

speno

There was a gold gt A plate at manc car show today , My 1984 gti was good on the inner wings and boot , Sills wanted doing tho 

speno

p.s check out the seat brackets too forbes , different floor pans to later types 

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Coooor those early GT's are lovely! I'll check around it when it arrives, all I know is under the rear seats is mint, is there anything else to look for Mark? Worth waxing it underside? 

forbeslongden
10 hours ago, pp205 said:

I saw this one a couple of years ago in Exeter. Apologies for the terrible photo. 

A check kn it shows it is still taxed and has a current MOT. 

If if I recall the red paint was surprisingly good for such an old 205 but not sure whether it was original or not

44A0C265-0CD8-4CEE-B65F-1ABA0E073AEB.jpeg

Local all its life that one, can still make out the Renwicks dealer triangle in the rear!

barneys66
23 minutes ago, speno said:

you mean there is a re shelled gti on ebay right now . nothing is right on this car for a 1985 car

Exactly.  Are you assuming he re-shelled or do you know for sure; might be an, ahem, ID swap..

Interesting that the DVLA have it down as a 1.9 - guess someone's done that part right at least..

speno

I  dont know how i feel about these tbh but i guess it happens all the time in other makes and models 

Its been done to get into historic racing 

forbeslongden

Legal ramifications aside, I don't see any problem with carrying over the ID from one car to another as long as it isn't done to try and gain more value than something is worth, I know of a GTi that had the ID changed because it had out a COD on it for parking fines I think, and let's say an identical car that was an absolute basket was cut up and replaced it, so a good one stayed on the road and an absolute s*itter got butchered, it isn't right but sometimes the circumstances make sense. 

Anyway, am I right to think all early cars didn't have chrome strips in the bumpers (aside GTI's ?) 

AlGentry
On 9/16/2018 at 7:17 PM, speno said:

There was a gold gt A plate at manc car show today , My 1984 gti was good on the inner wings and boot , Sills wanted doing tho 

That's mine, thanks for the mention :) .

I'll not mention that it is under 5cm of snow as I type this :( - no garage - and I can't wait for the salt on the roads to stop so I can drive it again, it is great fun.

it also appeared at the NEC last November.

ciarandeery1

I know of a A Reg GTI needing restore..

he offered me it long ago but it scares me lol

85542924-6B3A-4C48-A496-651F2800D589.jpeg

forbeslongden

Where is that to become so rotten? Wales, Scotland?