• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Greengti1

Rear beam axle shaft removal

Greengti1

Hi

i am trying to refurbish the rear beam on my 205  Gti.  To bed honest it is proving a hard task!

the refurb guide on this site is excellent and I have been following it best I can.

the area I have a question on, which is not in the guide, is the removal of the axle shaft from the trail arm.  I assume the axle is pressed into the arm and the removal is done with a large hammer!  

Before I start beating on it I wanted to check is which way does the axel come out?  

Does is get pushed through from the outside edge of the arm or pushed back from the tube side?

If if anyone can help or provide any guidance it would be very much appreciated.

thanks very much

adam 

Tom Fenton

You will be there for a long time with a hammer. Find someone with a press is my advise, and I have done hundreds of them. The shaft presses the "short" way out of the arm.

Ozymandis

I never had any problem smacking them out with  7lb sledge hammer, in a big vice.

I use an old 3/4 drive impact socket as a drift.

New ones are easy, put in freezer to shrink,heat arms to expand ,bit of grease ,strip of flat steel across as a striking face to stop manking up the end then quickly bang bang bang, done.

It`s easier with a helper, but i`ve done it by myself on 4 shafts over the past couple of years.

Its getting the R/H torsion bar out of the arm thats always been  the hardest bit. YMMV.

I believe Tom did a tool for that.

Greengti1

Thanks very much for your advice.

i have found the dismantling process very long and very hard!

It looks like the rebuild process will be expensive!  The drivers side bearing has dissolved, water got in and it was all rusty and damaged putting a flat spot in the tube.

So I need a new tube, found a place on the web, IMaxel, which does the tube with bearings for £130.  If anyone know of a better option I would be keen to know.

on the upside I am hoping the rebuild willl be a lot easier.

thsnks agsin

adam

Alastairh

If you need any help stripping it down or building I am over Kettering way.

Al

Greengti1

Thanks very much Al.  I could possibly use some help if you have a good method for axel shaft removal or a press I would be very grateful for your assistance.  A money tree would also be good for the new parts required.... 

Aubrey

How did you go replacing the bearings on the rear axle?

I am going to be approaching this soon, the bearings have started to go.

Having been through the process, would you recommend buying a new axle from imaxels? Or getting a refurbished rear axle? Or getting the axle refurbished? Or just replacing the bearings?

welshpug

i would not recommend im***e any day, terribly poor quality workmanship and materials.

if your axle tube is servicable then fit new bearings and arm shafts.

• Thanks 1

Aubrey
48 minutes ago, welshpug said:

i would not recommend im***e any day, terribly poor quality workmanship and materials.

if your axle tube is servicable then fit new bearings and arm shafts.

Okay, thanks for the heads up!

SootySport

If your looking for someone to rebuild it for you, ‘ Axles by Stef’ is yer man.