• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gaz205

I've removed a rather frayed dizzy wire today, the red and blAck wires seem in tact but the frayed wire was a 3rd wire that has broke free from the plastic insulation and foil liner. Is that an earth? Would that cause me any problems now it's clearly not got a good insulation around it? I've tried taking it back a bit but can't get to any good foil it just breaks up.

I'm chasing a 3k misfire that temporarily fixed after changing the fuel filter and disturbing this wire.

Also when removing the dizzy this fell... is it on the top or bottom mount on the inside or outside? Should there be 2?

Thanks

Tom Fenton

The foil is a shield. It should only be connected at 1 end. I think it connects into the plug. 

The washer you show a picture of should be fitted under the fixing nuts upper and lower clamping the dizzy body. They often are missing.

Gaz205

Thanks Tom, the wire is OK to just be kinda hanging loose? Does it need earthing to anything ?

Gaz205

Right... After chasing this 3k hesitation I have really cocked something up.

new ngk plugs - no difference

new prospark leads (same as what I took off and it has run well with them) - no difference

new fuel filter and at the same time moved the cool wires and dizzy wire - cured the car for 10 miles.

ignition amp paste renewed - no difference

Removed dizzy, soldered the dizzy wire to the terminals and re fitted - horrendous mis fire all through the Rev ranges, adjusting the timing helped a tiny bit but would not find its happy timing again

recon dizzy and wire fitted - even worse and the rev needle had dicky fits all over the place.

used amp fitted with the above dizzy - no difference

the above dizzy wire on my original dizzy - average performance below 3k, and now won't pull above 4k 

cant seem to get it timed right at all now!

compression test done and all cylinders equal give or take.

always run on Tesco 99 and until a few weeks ago pulled very nicely.

what next to try ? 

karabas

Hi, I'm curious about the result.

How did you solve it?

opticaltrigger
On 9/8/2018 at 3:44 PM, Gaz205 said:

Thanks Tom, the wire is OK to just be kinda hanging loose? Does it need earthing to anything ?

Hi Gareth,

As Tom said, the shield doesn't connect to anything at the distributor end. Ultimately, it's earthed at the other end through the plug.

And as above also, did you get it fixed and if so what was it...?

All the best,

O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger

Gaz205

This was solved by paying someone sadly. It was 2 things, a leak in the fuel pump seal which then identified a bodge on the fuel pressure regulator. Both of these rectified and a good setup on the RR made a very sceptical 118bhp. I don't really care about numbers, all I know is it runs like a dream and pulls cleanly to the limiter, and idles perfectly.

karabas

Perfect.

Just few hours ago I solved mine problem which was same with you.
I've borrowed a fuel rail with injectors attached and a pressure gauge on it.

Fuel pump. It was brand new so I didn't put the blame on it for a long time.

Gaz205

Glad you've sorted it. I don't think a leaking fuel pump is a commonly explored part early on in the diagnostics from reading other threads. It cost me £200 in life lessons! But worth it to have it running nicely.

• Like 1