• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz205

Ignition Amp Paste

Gaz205

In the near future I'm renewing the paste behind the Amp. Already bought some, quick question do you let it dry? Or reattach it wet so it applies to the backing plate too?

A search doesn't find that answers and apologies if it's a silly question, I've never renewed it before .

Thanks 

jackherer

Apply it and attach it straight away, it only dries out after many years and then it needs replacing.

Gaz205

Thankyou , may help with a mid range hesitation it's picked up.

Ozymandis

Apply a thin even layer using a spatula/scraper/filler knife, then attach it whilst wet.

The old style paste Peugeot used stays wet throughout its life, supossedly.

Many pastes on the market now, set like silicon sealer, I dont like those and I see more failures in semiconductor packages with the set type pastes than the older wet ones. Its the commonest failure point in high wattage LED COB packages. In replacements we always use wet paste it defo lasts better.

Gaz205

Well mine was totally non existent, not even only crumbly stuff. Applied a thin layer of new with a small spatula and unfortunately there's no noticeable difference. Cleaned up the earth while I was there too. Still have my 2/3k hesitation. 

Annoying to say the least...

Telf

the paste that you apply when fitting a CPU to a motherboard works well for this job

Gaz205

It was a computer retailing place I bought it from, came in a syringe with a spatula. The research I did seemed to suggest it was ok.

AFM swap next. My spare made it worse oddly.

paul mcgrath

Gaz205, Let me know how you get on. Mine drives like dog at low revs (under 2500) low throttle to the point where if i have to maintain the same speed, i dump the clutch till i need throttle. Otherwise the engine jumps about on the mountings like no tomorrow.

I tried the paste (mine was non existant as well) made no difference, so maybe a duff amplifier - or something else!!! Didn't put a thin layer on mine, whacked it on as nicked a massive tube of it from work!!! Presumed that tightening it up would set the thickness. 

Telf

2 hours ago, paul mcgrath said:

Didn't put a thin layer on mine, whacked it on as nicked a massive tube of it from work!!! Presumed that tightening it up would set the thickness.

The point of thermal paste is to provide a medium to increase the thermal conductivity between your CPU and the base of the heatsink. If you put too much, it actually acts as an insulator, which is the exact opposite of what you want. In the worse case scenario, you can overheat and damage components.

This is a direct quote from a PC build thread- it seems too much paste has the opposite effect to what is required.

Gaz205
On 9/4/2018 at 4:07 PM, paul mcgrath said:

Gaz205, Let me know how you get on. Mine drives like dog at low revs (under 2500) low throttle to the point where if i have to maintain the same speed, i dump the clutch till i need throttle. Otherwise the engine jumps about on the mountings like no tomorrow.

I tried the paste (mine was non existant as well) made no difference, so maybe a duff amplifier - or something else!!! Didn't put a thin layer on mine, whacked it on as nicked a massive tube of it from work!!! Presumed that tightening it up would set the thickness. 

Mine was lovely all through the rev range, I can't attribute it to anything at all.

I put a thin layer on. Ill be stripping and cleaning, repairing everything I can on the ignition system and dizzy.

Then it'll be fuel pressure test etc. No money will be spent until I've done the basics this time.

Ill update you though.

Edited by Gaz205
Typo

Gaz205

Fixed this now.... New paste, re routed the coil and distributor wire so there was no risk of contact and changed the fuel filter.

Pulls cleanly now.

Gaz205

*** Broken again***

think I've disrupted a loose wore somewhere, suspect the dizzy wire, it's threaded a bit. It's a screw in type. Does removing the screw also remove the wire/plug? Allowing an attempt at repair?