• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FRP

Search for a 205 1.9 has begun

FRP

Hi and thanks for letting me register.

I currenlty do not have a 205 but want to start looking for one. I am a car fan and just love drivng and currently run a 1200 hp Porsche turbo...yes you can imagine the concentration required to drive it, but enough of that. Attached image if i am allowed to do that. I am a regular on 911UK (great friendly fourm) and I am based in Middlesex UK

My own research has begun and i thought this would also be a good reference point....

WHY AM I HERE ?  I kindly ask you for your knowledge advice, pitfalls, reliability, prefered modifications, issues , wants, rareities, nouanaces IE around all that is the legend known as the 205 ? I appreciate they are 30 years old ish, some of the rust issues (used to run a series 2 Jag so know about rist!!) etc. I am beginning my own personal research and will probably have many questions if you can put up with me

What are the best garages, restorers, bodyshops for the 205, mecanical repair garages, etc

I want a 205 that will be a daily driver and to make it mine and my personallity, i like the Gutmann look, Dimma look or standard. However note i am thinking of a mi16 engine or even something totally different. Car MUST be relaible as will be used on Euro Holidays, prefer 4 seats so no cage as may need to take the grannies out now and again, but this is not a show stopper

Any pointers or knowledge shared would be super helpful

PS Dont mind a project car either

Regards Faried

IMG_7160.JPG

woodymi16

If you find a potential car, post the details on here and I’m sure you will get plenty of advice.

FRP

Thanks Graham. There are loads on ebay and i am speaking to Spoox Motorsport about their stock....might have to visit, Darren sounds like a very helpful guy

Its the issues, and pitfalls POINTERS i am really lookign for

SOME CARS:

seen this one on ebay - ok price if i spent a bit more bringing it up to spec and condition, would still be a £8k or more car i think https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTI-1-9-RARE-CAR-IDEAL-INVESTMENT-MAY-TAKE-PX/142895798436?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

also at TOP DOLLAR - Lurvley but still not perfect (a few very light rust spots...i spoke to the owner who is an honest guy) and i would still want to make it my own a little  - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-lynx-mi16-Gti-dimma/302860843203?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I could do a lit with this to make it my own - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-1992-IN-THE-STYLE-OF-T16-PUG/223122476072?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/205-GTi-Mi6-Conversion/192633067749?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

speno

Take your time is the best way , Spoox haven't got the best reputation with some folk 

personally i would try and get to a local pug meet. ( pscuk ) do regional meets once a month , 

I would steer well clear of some of the cars above 

A chap near me has a nice dimma for sale too with good history 

Nice porka too a bit like mine but without the turbo 

FRP

Thanks Spencer....great info. I am just in the "looking" phase at the moment.  Yes i will get to a few meets to speak to true owners / enthusasts

• Like 1

Miles

As said take your time and watch out, allot of not so good people out there and what looks good is quite often tarted up, there was a company called Just GTi's which did this who I did like as I ended up allot of them all to repair as they should have been but when you did the maths they could not do what they said for the money, A ground up restoration is anything from 10k then you have engine options etc, take a look at my FB page and I think pretty much everything is on there from a 1.6 to a V6 

FRP

Dear Pitcrew....MANY MANY Thanks, some great pointers for me,,,,will look into what you have said. Appreciate it a lot. Regards. Faried

Hheppy

Hi, I'm happy to send you some details of my Dimma which is for sale, something for you to have a look at whilst considering what you want to do.

Some good advice from the chaps above, they know what they're on about.

I remember doing what you are doing about 5 or 6 years ago, I was on here, pistonheads, autotrader and ebay, one handy thing I found with the car I eventually bought was to google the reg number, one of the previous owners of my car had undertaken extensive restoration work and it was on a citroen forum, (dunno why!) 10 pages worth of conversations and details of what was done, I didn't see this until after I had bought it, however, it did confirm to me that the car had been well looked after by more than one owner and in fact I can trace the ownership back 10 years or more now and I am in contact with them on Facebook now too!

good luck!

Telf

see what Miles has for sale, ignore the 10k garbage on Ebay, (or buy from a owner on here if one comes up for sale)

that's my advice

FRP

Andrew, Thanks for the info. Yes please do send me details and contact info. Regards Faried

FRP

Paul, thanks for the info...... Who is Miles ? Happy to exchange contact details. Yeah i have only been to see one on ebay so far, up for 5k (looked great, however upon inspection) it was total rubbish, interior bits missing, rear bumper really out of alignment, bubbling and filler on all 4 corners

jackherer
3 hours ago, FRP said:

Who is Miles ?

Miles is the person who posted about six posts above this one /\

You've mixed up his forum group 'Pitcrew' with his name!

Gaz205

The 1st car in your list is one to avoid. If you needed to know more you can PM me.

artois7

If you find yourself near Swindon you're welcome to come and have a go in my mi16 - give you an idea of if you want to go standard or 16v..