• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
charliemi16

Intermittent Running Issues

charliemi16

Hi everyone, 

I'm a brit, currently based down in New Zealand. Couldn't resist buying myself a standard 1.9gti, when one came up for sale, as I still have my MI-16 back in the UK, and miss it terribly!. It's a japanese spec, imported 1990. VIN, if anyone is able to decipher it is: VF320CDK223406876.  

Unfortunately, since I got it, it's developed an intermittent fault that I'm struggling to get to the bottom of. Sometimes it runs perfectly, but most of the time it has some/all of the following symptoms:

1. lt will not rev above a certain RPM. This is usually somewhere between 2500 & 3500. Just bounces around that point. 

2. The K light occasionally comes on. 

3. If you corner hard it will always cut out, and die. If you ease off the G forces, sometimes it will catch and splutter, then carry on. Most times, it will completely die. Coast to a halt, restarts every time, and you're away again. 

So far I have changed:

plugs, Ignition Amp (non OEM, but new), coil, leads, fuel filter. 

I also pulled the AFM apart, and measured resistance as I moved the vane. All looked good. 

I ran the fuel pump direct with 12v to eliminate any tachymetric relay or other electrical issues. No change

I can't get to the bottom of it. I have the fuel pump out of it now, and was planning on getting a new one when I come back to the UK next month. 

Any advice, thoughts, experience would be welcomed. 

Thanks

Charlie

PhilNW

Could be fuel starvation, Check fuel pump pressures, it should be around 3 bar, 

charliemi16

Thanks Phil, 

That's why the pump is next on my list. I haven't checked pressure, but will be ordering a pressure test kit to do so soon. Problem is, it doesn't always misbehave, but I guess if I can get it to play up while it's stationary and the pressure is down, that's good. 

Any other suggestions/experience? 

Thanks