• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jakob

605 Diesel driveshafts to fit XU10 rear flange/brackets

Jakob

Hi, I am preparing a 605 diesel transmission (a ML case as I remember) to mate up to a XU10j2 (8v turbo block). I have shortened and welded the driveshafts to fit the 205 in length, custom hubs/brakes and transmission in both ends, however the bracket back on the XU10 engine does not accept the 605 driveshaft "cluster" (the big round socket) in the right side to support the drive shaft - see last picture.  (First pictures is just to share the welding process. We will see whether it holds up, heated and welded in layers)

The problem: Do anyone know whether the driveshafts for a 605 diesel is the same as a 406 turbo. I had assumed the bracket should fit ..., but if not then maybe I could swap the "socket housing" to a 406 turbo to make it fit...!?!

If 605 diesel and 406 turbo is not the same driveshaft cluster, then do anyone have any other suggestion for options available rather than trying to hunt down a 605 bracket and customize to fit a XU10 block...!?!

Thanks

D1.JPG

D2.JPG

D3.JPG

D4-1.JPG

D5-1.JPG

D6.JPG

Edited by Jakob
Changed "engine" to "block"

B1ack_Mi16

The bracket would probably not need to be customized for the XU10 block.

A rear bracket from 605 2.1 TD should be correct to use I believe.

The 605 2.1 TD is possibly a ME transmission. 406 most likely ML, but I think the bracket is possibly the same between those two as the boxes are quite similar.

B1ack_Mi16

The brackets for 605 / 406 have different part numbers in servicebox though, so it would be safest to get the bracket from the same car as you got the driveshafts I would say.

Jakob

Thanks! My issue is that the 605 driveshafts was picked up from a yard some 4 years ago, and the car / engine is gone. I will try and locate another somewhere, and see what I can come up with. Thanks for looking up the numbers

B1ack_Mi16

I suppose it should still be attached to a lot of engines in breakers yards. Maybe the best bet.

B1ack_Mi16

Found a couple of the larger brackets/mounts yesterday when I was fiddling around in my parts collection. 

Normal GTi (BE1/3) mount to the right, the two others are for car with ME5 gearbox. Seem to be a tad bigger bearing? And distance from rubber bush is longer.

DSRGPsx.jpg

Jakob

Thanks alot! I just send you a message.

Jakob

Jakob

Also, is there any other 605 diesel ME5 conversion in a 205 in this forum?

I am special interesting in seeing how the mechanical linkage was laid out. Not much space around the speed-cable and rest of stuff down there.

We will start making linkage next week, and I would love to see pictures from those who did it before.

Jakob