• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205freak

Compression ratio

205freak

Hi, i ve built a xu10 engine but i think its missing some bhp, the engine spec is;

Bore 86mm

Stroke 88mm

Combustion Chamber volume 30cc

Piston volume 9cc

Head gasket 1.25mm

KentPT27 camshaft

It gave me over 11.5 compression ratio using the cr calculator but today i took the spark plugs to check compression it gave me in all cylinders 10,5bars thats 150 psi can this be right?? Whats the reason to loose torque and bhp above 3000rpms???

Any thoughts how to solve the loss??

Thanks

petert

How far down the bore is the piston at TDC? Did you add that space to your chamber volume? I left it as zero and got 11.7:1.

Is the cam timed correctly?

The cam may be too large for the compression you have. You really need to get the DCR above 8.5.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 9.46.03 AM.png

welshpug

did you hold the throttle open?

what intake and exhaust does it have?

welshpug

oh, i think Pete probably nailed it, static compression of 11.5 ish with a 300°+ cam wont work so well.

Im using mid 12's with 286° which does work!

205freak

Hi thanks for the replys!! PeterT you´re correct about piston at zero deck height, the cam was timed correctly, so what can i do, to make it work properly, skimmed the head a little bit more ou change the head gaskett for a thinner one???

petert

Advance the cam around to 102º to begin with. However, a 0.7mm Cometic head gasket would be best.

What lift @ TDC does it have?

What does the ignition map look like?

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 9.03.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 9.08.42 PM.png

Edited by petert

205freak

PeterT i´ll try to confirm everything by the end of next week, when i have more time available!!!

205freak

Hi again..so after a few tweeks on mapping it improved a little but nevertheless i bought a 0.91 gaskett, after a few calculations will raise both static and dynamic cr making the engine more alive.. petert my question to you is..how the pistons will cope with a 12.5 compression ratio and do i need to worrie about piston/valve???

Thanks

petert

Are they stock pistons? I'd just run it anyway. All will be fine if the mixtures are sound. No, valve won't hit piston.

205freak
36 minutes ago, petert said:

Are they stock pistons? I'd just run it anyway. All will be fine if the mixtures are sound. No, valve won't hit piston.

They are stock pistons and i hope going over 12 on cr wont damage anything?!?!! Going to swap the gasketts in when it arrives i believe in 2 weeks time, after instalation i gonna tell you the diferences!!!

petert

What ecu are you using?

DamirGTI

I had 12.3 CR for around 4 years , was my daily 205 .. standard 1.9 DFZ pistons and a bit heavy head skim , standard management (except the recurved dizzy , and an adjustable FPR) . No problems with the pistons they where fine @ 12.3 .

D

jamie_1992

How have you got such a hi comp on stock pistons? Presume you have larger piston cut outs as well 

welshpug

dfz is a large head chamber engine so has a tiny dish (or maybe flat top even)  in the pistons, put these under a small chamber gti head and hey presto, nice snappy high comp 8v cheap.

8v pistons dont need cutouts due to the angle of the valves and how far they sit away from the piston at tdc

205freak
On 10/28/2018 at 6:05 PM, jamie_1992 said:

How have you got such a hi comp on stock pistons? Presume you have larger piston cut outs as well 

Jamie just using std pistons from the engine xu10j2, the head just had a light skimm to clean but it has already been skimmed in the past, the oe combustion chamber for this head is 36cc..and now its 30cc, so i do not know how much is has been taking off!!!

Petert using the thinner gaskett, the timing will be off again, would need timing again and another question how much crank advanced do need again?!??

Thanks