• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dwainb1986

205 mi16 conversion

dwainb1986

Hi everyone.

Firstly im new to this forum and new to car restoration!! But i guess everyone has to learn and start somewhere ? 

Right i bought a 205 gti 1.6 miami blue g reg in may with a blown engine , my intension was to refit a new engine and use as a weekend toy but after removing the old engine and a spot of luck i found a 1.9 alloy block mi16 that was sat in a shed for 9 years and has never been fitted since the fella fully rebuild it ! Best thing about it was it was only 250 pounds and came with everything needed to slot into a 205 ☺ anyways as many of you know the 205s it soon came clear this was going to be quite a project.. once i started i realised alot needed doing e.g RUST ..  the more things i took of the more i decided to do a full restoration and id need to replace lots of parts afterall it would be silly just doing a swap and leaving the car tatty!! So all the helpfull advice people are willing to give will be great. Few things im stuck with is as ive ground down bubble rust back to bare metal ive then treated it with hamerite krust ,is this the best way and then what primer would be best ? Im doing the bay myself but when finally finished il treat it to a full respray ... ive a few pics of the progress if any1 could share some advice on best ways to do things or what ive done wrong!  Could some1 please tell me what that is in 1 of the pics where the brake pipes go into as i cant seem to find 1 .thanks guys

20180617_155808.jpg

20180722_183814.jpg

20180725_170155.jpg

20180725_170223.jpg

20180725_170646.jpg

Edited by dwainb1986

barneys66

Welcome to the forum - car looks like a solid start and great score on the engine!

I can't offer any technical help, but am looking forward to the project updates.

jackherer
22 minutes ago, dwainb1986 said:

Could some1 please tell me what that is in 1 of the pics where the brake pipes go into as i cant seem to find 1

That is the 1.6 rear brake compensator.

dwainb1986

Thankyou will that be good enough for the swap? The car currently has 1.9 brakes on the front and its also had rear disk conversion with gti6 callipers

jackherer

The only 205 I've had with a 1.6 compensator also had wilwood 4 pots and 1.9 rear discs and it worked fine on that so yours should be fine too. It works via inertia and it has to be fitted in the right direction relative to travel for it to work properly.

Anthony

As above really - in my experience the 1.6 compensator works perfectly with 1.9 brakes all round and I've run several cars in that configuration. Indeed, in some ways I prefer it as that compensator seems far more reliable than the individual 1.9 type.

dwainb1986

Little update . The more i have a go the more i seem to strip .. ive now decided to have the subframe coated with new arms droplinks bearings brakes rebuid .the main problem i have is ive got the limited edition miami blue on a g reg so reading many posts its a night mare to match up the paint!! A trip to halford after reading there miami blue was a match for my paint code m0my turned out to be a differnt shade .. but considering what it looked like before under the bonnet im sure a slightly differnt colour will stand out like a sore thumb?whats peoples thorts on this? I dont want to go through all this hard work and it look silly. Ive looked at so many pictures and alot of the bay will be unseen . Also what would the best underseal be to use ?  Ive added few more pics so if any1 can advise on anything id be greatfull . Like i said in previous post this is all new to me so its also a learning curve.

20180725_170646.jpg

20180728_165338.jpg

20180728_165332.jpg

dwainb1986

Slowly treated all the surface rust and painted the engine bay. I know its a slightly different shade but compared to the rust oil and dirt i think it looking good. Eventually when its due its respray il have the bay done to match the rest . Just having the sunframe coated at the min new arms drop links etc will soon be fitted and i will update more pics . 

20180813_202431.jpg

20180818_172422.jpg

20180804_171717.jpg

• Like 1

dwainb1986

Another couple of hours on the pug ! Juggling between work child and the MRS ... Managed to attach a few more parts light wiring is now out of the bag and in a state so slowly clean it  tape and conceal the wires best i can .  

20180819_172717.jpg

20180820_181830.jpg

• Haha 1

dwainb1986

Has anybody any good ideas of where to put the ecu when the conversion is done? I am hopeing to hide or at least keep wiring to a minimum . I origionally wanted to keep it under the dash but ive seen people put it all over the car. Once ive had the wiring converted im told it wont reach to under the dash?thankyou

jackherer

You can put it in the standard location. It has to go slightly diagonally compared to the original ECU and you can only use a couple of the studs but it works fine.

dwainb1986

Perfect.thankyou i was thinking o/s next to the strut but if it fits in  the origional place id rather that. 

yeti-dj
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, dwainb1986 said:

Perfect.thankyou i was thinking o/s next to the strut but if it fits in  the origional place id rather that. 

Hi,

fit the ecu in the same place as the gti one came from, its a bit of a tight fit but does go.

Regarding the brake compensator, I have the same set up of callipers on my GTI and run without any compensator, never locked the back brakes yet.

good luck

dwainb1986

Oh perfect !!! The compensator just looks old and rusty and trying to find a replacement is a nightmare !! So would i just bypass it and run a new brake line from the resevoir to the rear brakes? 

dwainb1986

Hi everyone. Well as most projects go ive hit the lazy part where you get fed up and frustrated so you leave it a week and that week turns into months ! I have however managed to get the newly coated subframe back on and few other parts put in place. Im on with the hubs shocks etc .

Im after a plug and play wiring loom or shortned inlet and exhaust if any1 has a spare lying around ? Let me know as these kits can be expensive ..

20180908_183320.jpg

Andy

You are doing a very good job . Looks the part. It will be a lovely car when you have finished.

Andy

dwainb1986

Thanks andy ! Its slowly getting there but as the car ages parts get pricey and harder to get lol 

Andy

Oh yes. It always costs more than originally planned, and , the better the job you do, the less you want to compromise on rebuild, the more it costs !!!!

dwainb1986

Quick update as had a major rethink lol 

Mi16 engine sadly now sold and original 1.6 going back in decided it was best original ..

Anyways steering rack all rebuilt and cleaned fuel filter clamp back in and painted bottom arms now on almost ready to finally get of the axle stands and hit the floor for the first time in a year ha.

20181231_090853.jpg

dwainb1986

20181231_090843.jpg

d7ve_b

This is my old car! Looking forward to seeing any future updates....