• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

yorkshirekowboy

Mi16 running without oil cooler

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, I'm just wondering what people's car are running like in this heat wave. I'm about to change my radiator and block my bypass pipe up on my mi16. So I'm thinking of getting rid of the oil cooler as the bottom rad hose I made to feed the oil cooler and its just a bodge really, and never really found an ideal hose to get around this. The other feed comes from the thermostat cover (plastic with 2 inlets) 

I have also decided to replace my thermostat which I've ordered made by gates and rated at 82 degrees, but it doesn't seem to fit? It's slightly to big for the housing. Any ideas? It's the correct one so it's strange. 

Edited by surferkid205

yorkshirekowboy

Thermostat sorted, the housing was furred up with old burnt on antifreeze so scrapped it out with a blade and made the metal hole cleaner taking some alloy off. The thermostat is 54mm so now it's about right. Only one seal though which is strange. 

Edited by surferkid205

wicked

If your mi16 can't keep the temperature in control, then it probably needs maintenance, meaning clean coolant, new thermostat and radiator. Probably the last one is your issue. I would not use the 82 degree thermostat. Running too cool is not good for the engine either. Note that most modern engines run close to 90 degrees. It's not a big issue if your gauge will see 95 when you stop in this weather. If it runs hotter while driving, you lack cooling capacity-> new radiator. The system is designed to work in france, so it should not need modifications to cope with this weather...

My 2cents

yorkshirekowboy

Thanks for your reply matey, im running a copper radiator which I'm replacing with a alloy one. I have been running my car for 14 years on this setup, just doing an overhaul like you said and wqnronf to explore options. Also when you say the car is designed to run in France, I understand that but not a mi16 engine in a 205 as the radiator is a larger in a 405/bx and more space around the engine bay for air flow etc, Or am I missing something? If the thermostat for 205s, choosing from the 89 degrees or the 82 degrees, why are 2 listed for the gtis if they will cause damage? 

allanallen

My mi16 uses an original type copper rad, 89 deg stat and no oil heat exhchange, it’s all in good  condition and the fan works. Never had any issues whatever the weather, in traffic it creeps up and the fan brings it back down.

Oil temp generally runs around 2-3rd mark when up to temp during road use. 

It does run slightly cooler now I’ve removed the supercharger, on a colder day you can watch the temp changing slightly on the gauge as the stat opens and closes. 

wicked

The 309 gti16 has similar radiator as the 205. In normal use, the mi16 does not produce much more heat than an 8v. Don't make it too complex; first replace the radiator...

jackherer
On 7/10/2018 at 7:05 PM, surferkid205 said:

the radiator is a larger in a 405/bx and more space around the engine bay for air flow etc,

The BX 16v radiator core is actually smaller and thinner than a 205 GTI one, google says it is 530 x 286 x 36mm compared to 600 x 280 x 40mm.

They had to use a smaller rad mounted further forward due to the length of the Mi16 inlet manifold. All other BXs had bigger rads ironically.

A 205 GTI rad is more than capable of cooling 200bhp+ engines.

welshpug

yep, Colin satchell and Tony Palfrey both have high 200's na 2.0's running standard nissens rads.

petert

I'm still running the original copper radiator. It's fine for 250+hp in 38-40 deg C heat.

Tom Fenton

Water cooled turbo will push the standard rads past where they are adequate, the turbo diesel rads however are up to the job.