• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

IRISH_MI16

36.5mm valves... Where to buy?

IRISH_MI16

As the tittle says, where the bloody hell do I get 36.5mm valves for an mi16?? Im expect Alot of "its not worth the money“ but I'm not interested in that. 

I'm curious as to where to get them?? I can find 35.5 but the 36.5 are proving elusive. 

Any help is always appreciated 

petert

I use to get them made by Competition Valves Australia in Melbourne. They were approx. $66 each 10 years ago, in either std or long (120mm) versions. If I was building another head, I'd pick something more readily available from the Supertech catalogue. Also, the Sierra RS500 long d*ck valves are also a option if you're doing open buckets. They're available from Burton Power.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 9.09.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 9.06.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 9.33.17 PM.png

engine killer

iirc there is a guy name Dave Baker located in Britain somewhere used to sell them and he quoted quite some articles about modifying the XU9 and XU9J4 engines too.  i just could't find his website anymore

petert

The problem with custom valves made by DB or CVA, is that they're not readily available if you have an engine malfunction and need valves in a hurry.

petert

What a giggle. Did someone edit my original post? Apparently there are words you still can't say in public.

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 9.46.48 PM.png

jackherer

It wasn't edited by a person but it looks like d*ck is in the bad words list so it is automatically substituted by the forum software.

It would be unfortunate for someone whose name was D*ck. Similar to the problem people from Sc*nthorpe face.

• Haha 1

IRISH_MI16

So really unless I'm going for massive power the 35.5 would be fine or the Sierra ones. What about exhaust valves? 

petert

Anything 35.5 and above is enough to recut the seat and the area below the seat more efficiently. It's not so much the actual diameter but how well you cut the seat. Additionally, if you fit the biggest valves possible you'll limit the cam timing, as they'll be insufficient valve to valve clearance. Certainly with 36.5/30.0 combination you're limited to approx. 300 degrees in duration ( as a rough number).

IRISH_MI16

Having had a quick browse, cost wise the Sierra valves make more sense they are about half the price of the 35.5mm ones! Maybe the Sierra valves and standard exhaust valves would be a good combo. 

I'm still planning out the engine I want and will be building it over a long period of time. In the research stages at the moment and finding out where's best to go for what parts. 

I've already a head stripped down to start work on. 

petert

I'd buy one valve, retainer, locks, spring(s), base etc. to begin with. Just get one seat cut and see what it all looks like.

IRISH_MI16
16 minutes ago, petert said:

I'd buy one valve, retainer, locks, spring(s), base etc. to begin with. Just get one seat cut and see what it all looks like.

That sounds wise to me. No major initial cost. I've 3 spare heads so I can experiment a little

wicked

Can valves also be modified to fit? Or is that not done because of hardening?

(Some) 1.4 8v tu engines have 36.7mm valves with 7mm stem... 

petert

You could easily do that for an inlet if the length is ok. Exhaust valves are sometimes coated/tuffrided etc.

NNN

Hi, not trying to hijack here, but will any of those 36~ mm valves work with the std locks and retainers?

Peter, I have talked to Supertech (which in turn sells valves made in Argentina, in the same way Ferrea does, but from another manufacturer - check Basso - 3B valves or Edival if curious) but the only bigger valve with similar length-stem_diam-lock is the 35mm for the EW10J4S, which will fit. There are some 36mm valves but they will need new locks and retainers and in that case also valve springs. Will 35mm allow proper seats re-cut? Have you come with a better solution?

petert

I don't think 35.0 will give much of an improvement in seat profile over 34.7. I think you'll need at least 35.5. What does it matter if you change collets, retainers and springs? The standard Mi16 collets are bad anyway, as the valve stem distorts. Single groove is much better and you'll need springs anyway.

NNN

Oh sorry about that,  I didn't realise we were talking mi16. I was thinking in the gti6 head - 34.1 to 35mm single collet.