• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

To lay up or sell...

Stu

Hello all, 

Im at the point now where im at a cross roads with my car - it doesnt get much use since my little one was born, but since finishing its mini-resto its great fun to drive and i genuinely like owning the car, but after 11 years of ownership and with another car in line for restoration work ( '71 1275GT) i do wonder if its time to move it along for someone else to enjoy while i start the resto of my dads Mini. 

However. I could garage it for a few years on a SORN while i work on the Mini as time allows, but i fear between family commitments and garage time with the Mini it'll never see the light of day.. 

So, Million dollar question..

Sell or store?

The obvious point about future resale value is a tiny element factoring into the decision, but ultimately its more about it being used (even if its not me!) as i figure no matter how carefully it's stored there will be an element of recomissioning to use it again if its laid up.

Anthony

IMO, if you like the car, have the space to store it and don't need the money, keep it.

Providing it's not stored for several years, any recommissioning shouldn't be particularly excessive.

Tom Fenton

They don't suffer unduly if stored inside and away from sunlight.

My red turbo got put away in disgrace in 2012 and I got it out 5 years later in 2017. No massive ill effects to be honest, even the battery survived with it being run up every few months and then disconnected. Take sensible precautions, blow the tyres up hard or even better put it on blocks, make sure there is a strong antifreeze mix in there, don't leave too much fuel in the tank to go stale.

Miles

Lay up if you have the space, I've had my CTi in store for almost 12 years now as I don;t have time to use it, One day it will come out again but as it's not costing me anything it's handy to have when I want it.

jackherer
23 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

don't leave too much fuel in the tank to go stale. 

I would go as far as draining the fuel entirely now. I've never had a problem with stale fuel in the past but I've seen what modern fuel with ethanol does to the rubber components. In a 205 the parts in the fuel pump cradle seem to suffer the most, the rubber hose turns into a tar like substance.

Stu

Im still on the fence with it, which makes me think that i'm maybe not as in love with it as i kid myself into thinking i am.. 

I need to use it soon as a daily as my lease car is going back, so that'll be the decision maker i guess! 

Whats the going rate for a really tidy GTI6 engined 205 nowadays? Its (imo) got all the right bits, 309 running gear, beam, '6 engine, box, brakes, mint refurb'd trim with decent bolsters and i refurb'd all the outside trim and red strips last year as part of its refresh....

Age old question i know.. :wacko:

boldy205

I have been trying to sell mine (mentaly, never put an ad up!) for years, I always hit a stumbling block when I imagine seeing it traveling off down the road with the new owner,  with only a wad of cash in my hand, and then what could I spend that money on to replace it? Then I realise just how much I love it...........just saying