• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

4ll5op

1.9 standard. No pull between 3-4k revs

4ll5op

Hi not been on for a few years as car has been sorn, but for fathers day it has been bought back to life. 

It's a standard 1.9 the issue is weird and not had it before so struggling to find similar issue when I search. 

Anyway the car starts fine idles correctly. 

Pulls through the revs but when I put my foot down at about 3500 - 4000 revs it does what I can only describe like I'm riding the clutch until it gets past 4000 revs. 

There's no jerking the car will just rev like it's in neutral for a bit then once past 4k it's ok. 

From experience I'm thinking AFM but wanted to get more ideas if there is any

Edited by 4ll5op

jackherer

Hesitation at 4K is often the ignition amp overheating or failing. Usually it just needs new thermal transfer paste where it is attached to the heatsink.

4ll5op

Ah of course being stood for nearly 3 years probably does need refreshing. Need to get used to the ins and outs again after not touching it for so long

Cheers 

jackherer

Yeah they don't respond well to lack of use, but saying that if yours is starting and idling OK that is half the battle won with an 8v!

4ll5op

To be honest after having head gasket done I'm surprised how much of the stuff still works put it through MOT and it just failed on front nearside caliper and rear offside handbrake cable. Everything else spot on

jackherer

You must have fixed something electrical first surely? A sidelight/indicator/reg plate bulb not lighting is normally mandatory for a 205 MOT even when they haven't been unused!

4ll5op

Changed an indicator and sidelight bulb ye,   but wiring wise everything was fine. I'd rewired quite a bit before it was taken off the road so must of done the job

jackherer

Sounds like a good car, you should get some pics posted sometime.

4ll5op

Its had few niggling problems but spent the time and money correcting them much to the enjoyment of my wife. 

This is when it came out of MOT

tuesday

IMG_20180702_180422.thumb.jpg.f1dc52dd2c6e8ede55b8f3a9ee9a768b.jpg

• Like 1

Biggles

Nice - I presume you planned the sunburst off the front ...

4ll5op

I will say yes but I'm lying

Tom Fenton
10 hours ago, jackherer said:

You must have fixed something electrical first surely? A sidelight/indicator/reg plate bulb not lighting is normally mandatory for a 205 MOT even when they haven't been unused!

Rear fog light, every bloody time.

• Haha 1

Tom Fenton

On the original fault, I've had air flow meters give this kind of symptom before. Ign amps have previously given me what feels like a impromptu rev limiter about 4k rpm.

4ll5op

I had new AFM not long before it was sorn.  It will rev past 3-4 but the engine doesn't respond until past 4k. Rev counter gets to 3 then just shoots straight to 4. In the same way if I dipped the clutch then revved the engine

AFM or ignition amp hopefully is the issue

Tom Fenton

Sounds odd. I’m struggling to understand your description really. Sounds like the clutch is slipping but not?

All the engine speed info for both ecu and rev counter comes from the pick up inside the dizzy. These can go erratic and if so give an erratic rev counter action and a jerky misfire. They can be replaced but despite what the internet at large says, DO NOT TOUCH H&H IGNITION WITH A BARGEPOLE!

4ll5op

Yes it I'd odd I've never had this issue before I don't think it's an issue with the clutch it doesn't seem to do it cold.  Which is why the ignition amp could be overheating.  If you were in the car and in neutral and rev the engine that's how it feels between 3-4k revs the car doesn't respond in that rev range.  I'll try what's been suggested and get back to you.  I'm off to Benidorm now for a stag do so will be in a  week or so before I try. 

4ll5op

just an update. i changed the ignition amp paste, replaced all screws/bolts with shiny new ones. replaced the terminals on top of the ignition coil aswell, they looked brittle and corroded. car seemed to pull fine on the way to work this morning so hopefully thats it

thanks

Edited by 4ll5op
  • Like 1

4ll5op

Ok so back to this issue as I've had the car out due to some nice weather and I'm guessing the issue never went away 

The car revs fine and drives fine but if I boot it,  it will just rev and not pull. I'm guessing it's lacking something but not sure if ignition or fuel side

jackherer
52 minutes ago, 4ll5op said:

it will just rev and not pull

Are you saying the revs increase but the road speed doesn't? That sounds like the clutch is slipping.

4ll5op

Yer that's exactly it mate

jackherer

You need to take the gearbox off then unfortunately.

Either the clutch is worn out or the crank seal has started leaking and is spraying oil onto the clutch.

4ll5op

For God sake only had this done in the summer I'll take it back they can sort it

jackherer

Like I say it's possible the crank seal has gone and contaminated the clutch with oil so the people that changed the clutch may be free of blame.

It's wise to check or even change the seal while doing the clutch but people generally don't like it when garages propose extra work/expense so they probably didn't even take the flywheel off.

4ll5op

It's a family friend who does my work so he will sort me out.  I'm chatting to him now.  I know it needs a new clutch cable I've never replaced it but have tightened it a few times now. 

jackherer

Get them to look at the clutch arm and the balljoint the clutch fork is mounted to. On BE1 gearboxes like yours the clutch arm can fatigue then bend which can be masked by tightening the cable. And the fork balljoint can come loose on its rivets which can cause similar symptoms.