• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz205

Power steering ram O rings/seals

Gaz205

After nipping up my pipes where they meet the steering ram and not daring more than quarter turn I still have a leak of fluid all be it a little less. 

Before I remove the pipes to change the O rings does anyone know the size of them? Or a good alternative or supplier? Can't find anything in the search. I don't think it'll make much difference but I believe it to be a 309 derived power steering setup.

thanks in advance 

Edited by Gaz205

petert

O-rings? I think you'll find they're flared pipes. They do have a habit of cracking. 

Gaz205

Thank you, I have no experience of these pipes so I assumed wrongly re the O rings.

Any tricks of the trade other than risk nipping it up more? It's definately on the joint as opposed to a cracked pipe 

Tom Fenton

Metal to metal joints are difficult. It’s a bit of a bodge but you could try a bit of ptfe tape between the nut and flare to help it seal. However often the problem is that it’s been over tightened previously which has flattened the flare or stretched the nut.

Gaz205

Thanks Tom, I managed a quarter turn which I was hoping would do it, PTFE is a good shout, I'll give it a go. 

petert

The leak maybe caused from the flare work hardening. Try annealing the tip and refitting.

Gaz205

Tried both of the above, PTFE simply got all soggy and even when pressed right into the thread it just bunched up and pretty much fell off. 

Took ages to actually get the thread back into the ram after losing the majority of fluid. No change, no better, no worse. Thankfully the pipe looks quite short and potentially replaceable unless it's a fault on the ram housing. 

I dunno why but this leak is making me fall out with the car big time. 

petert

Get a brake place to make you some new pipes then.

Gaz205

Re the suggestion of heating it, I did apply some heat but with the pipe being firmly still in the ram and the nut around it still I didn't dare get it too hot.

good idea re the new pipe, i think it's only 6" or so before it's connected to the pump I believe.

petert

I mean remove the pipes completely, push the nipple back and get the end of the pipe/flare red hot. Clean off scale with a wire brush and refit.

Gaz205

This was resolved by removing the pipes totally as suggested and cleaning them up.

Liquid PTFE and re fit and touch wood they are sorted