• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Braymond

Take me out in your 205 GTI6 please? (Sussex)

Braymond

Does anyone local(ish) have a GTI6 engined 205? For years and years, I've umm'd and arr'd about whether I want to keep my car stock or scratch the itch and squeeze a bigger engine in. I simply cant decide...

I used to have a decent 306 Rallye with cams, and that was pleasantly brisk and I liked the engine's delivery - hence my indecision between the smiles associated with pace and those associated with tradition...

I change my mind frequently, so I wondered if anyone would be willing to take me out/let me have a go (up to you of course) in theirs so I can make a more informed decision.

Many thanks!

Edited by Braymond

sp_en_ny

It took me a little while to make my mind up before doing my cti as it low mileage and completely original. But I never bought it as an investment it started out as being a second car with a bit of fun that has turned into an obsessive hobby. With that in mind I wanted more fun so took the plunge. No regrets whatsoever. I also kept everything taken off so that if I do ever come to sell (which i wont) I can sell it with all of the original bits. Once I have finished sorting the cosmetics I might then even supercharge it for even more fun.

Its your car, do what you want to do to it that pleases you.

Braymond

Good to hear your experience!

My indecision isn't really anything to do with resale value - its more about what I want the car to be.

Some days, the pleasure is simply from being in it, bimbling along, in no hurry and just enjoying analogue theatre. And for that is just doesn't need to be fast.

Other days, I want that theatre to be attached to a more potent powerplant; to really take advantage of that low weight and chuck it about it. Feel a thump in the back as you bury the throttle.

Hence - I can't decide...

Tom Fenton

I don't think you will go far wrong with a GTI6 conversion. There aren't really many downsides to me. You have a good lump more power and torque. You have modern engine management meaning it will start and idle every time without fail be it hot cold or in between. It will happily tootle along or go like the clappers. There are no permanent changes needed to the car so its perfectly feasible to change it back at a later date should you wish to do so.

• Like 1

brumster

1.6 turbo would be better though, right ;) :D

edit: I'd actually quite fancy the turbo route myself these days, as something a bit different....

Edited by brumster

Tom Fenton

I like it, but if I'm honest, its probably not for everyone. The shove in the back as it comes on boost you cannot beat.

The GTI6 is a drop in conversion these days, you can buy off the shelf all the conversion parts needed. Can't say the same for my turbo setup, its got many many parts I've made or modified myself, I enjoy that sort of work, but not everyone either enjoys or is capable/has the tackle to do that sort of stuff.

brumster

Aye true. Mind you, I suspect finding good gti6 lumps is now becoming an increasing challenge...?

woodymi16

The GTI6 conversion is also a good base for further upgrades, throttle bodies, forced induction etc

Braymond

So anyone out there local and willing? 

Daxed

Get yourself to whatever Pugfest is called these days on the 1st of next month, usually a few variants about. See if you can get some passenger rides up the hill. 

dale205mills
3 hours ago, Braymond said:

So anyone out there local and willing? 

Where abouts in West Sussex are you, I'm in portsmouth and own amongst others a 205 gti6 with a vts gearbox. I done the conversion to one of my 1.9's over the last couple of years and put it on the road last year as a bit of a winter hack and a 205 to drive come rain, shine and what ever else the British weather can throw at us. If you were to ask me what I would pick between my original 1.9 205 or the gti6 205 I would pick the original one of the two but that is just me or maybe I'm a old fart and don't like the noise, feeling every bump due to running group n and a mounts threw out and dropped 30mm all round but then some little flash person in there porsche or some other expensive car sees my little 205 in there rear few mirror and make them change lanes and me pass by puts and smile on my face.

Braymond
13 hours ago, dale205mills said:

Where abouts in West Sussex are you, I'm in portsmouth and own amongst others a 205 gti6 with a vts gearbox. I done the conversion to one of my 1.9's over the last couple of years and put it on the road last year as a bit of a winter hack and a 205 to drive come rain, shine and what ever else the British weather can throw at us. If you were to ask me what I would pick between my original 1.9 205 or the gti6 205 I would pick the original one of the two but that is just me or maybe I'm a old fart and don't like the noise, feeling every bump due to running group n and a mounts threw out and dropped 30mm all round but then some little flash person in there porsche or some other expensive car sees my little 205 in there rear few mirror and make them change lanes and me pass by puts and smile on my face.

I'm in a sleepy little corner called Hurstpierpoint. I'm not too concernced about a harsh cabin, but equally I think I'd go as far and fit group N mounts.

I can't say I'm over your way particularly often, but I'll drop you a message should I be going west, if you'd be happy to take me round the block.

dale205mills
9 hours ago, Braymond said:

I'm in a sleepy little corner called Hurstpierpoint. I'm not too concernced about a harsh cabin, but equally I think I'd go as far and fit group N mounts.

I can't say I'm over your way particularly often, but I'll drop you a message should I be going west, if you'd be happy to take me round the block.

That's fine and I will take you out along the top of the hill.

Braymond

Excellent, I'll be in touch.

In the meantime, anyone else closer to home?

jamie_1992

I’m in plumpton but currently 

having an engine rebuild 

if you do decide to do it I’ve got a converted loom and Ecu I need to sell 

ACE80A7C-F752-4836-9A89-0509D4C257FA.jpeg

Braymond
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, jamie_1992 said:

I’m in plumpton but currently 

having an engine rebuild 

if you do decide to do it I’ve got a converted loom and Ecu I need to sell 

ACE80A7C-F752-4836-9A89-0509D4C257FA.jpeg

Cool, cheers.

Plumpton is a nice part of the world. I'm just up the road in Hurstpierpoint. Give me a shout when you're back on the road