• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Rear shock removal

davemar

I've removed my rear beam as I'm currently hacking my way through a load of rust on the underside of the car (I won't go into all that here), and have been trying to tidy the beam up while its off the car. I'm trying to remove the shocks (which I'll probably replace, as one feels seized), and have remove the bolt from one end of them, but can't get them off the large captive bolt at the other end. The tube on the inside of the bush seems to be jammed hard onto the bolt, so any wiggling of the shocks just gets taken up by the rubber bush, rather than freeing it from the bolt. Any suggestions on how to remove them?

Ozymandis

BFH on the bolts, drive em through the shocker eye and out of the arm. Save the ends by threading a nut on first for the initial whacking and use a punch to drive em all the way through, dont be shy beat the crap out of it with your biggest BFH.

Or cut the shocker eye/bush to bits.

Or burn the metalastic out and mole grips/punch/chisel on the siezed sleeve.

All the usual suspects.