• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Pugmandos

Good advice required!

Pugmandos

Thank you to anyone in advance for any information that will help me.

88 cti Xu5ja 1.6l 8v 

My problem is;

the fuel pump is only priming in the crank position on the ignition barrel.

now here is the strange thing, after I tested a lot of wires for continuity and was seeing good results, I left the key in the 2nd ignition position I then flashed the battery earth onto the battery terminal and I could hear the relay click and hear the fuel pump priming for about a second then it stops.

why is this intermittent , what would be my problem?

is the relay playing up? Which is the live that feeds the relay with ignition on?

or is it a bad earth somewhere or a faulty resistor within the relay? 

i am convinced that the fuel pump should prime with key in ignition position two on ignition barrel, unless anyone can tell me otherwise.

Thank you

jon

Tom Fenton

Some prime, some don't. It isn't an issue, they still fire up straight away if everything else is right.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Richie-Van-GTi

yep as Tom says, some pumps require the signal from the dizzy to trigger the tachymetric relay for the fuel pump, on cranking it gets a signal from position 3 on the barrel until the dizzy is producing the signal. Perfectly normnal behaviour.