• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blandy

Airbox to quite down throttle bodies

blandy

Has anyone had experience with a proper airbox for itb’s like the reverie zolder? I’m looking to quite down the front end and have plenty of space to make a airbox fit but being n/a concerned about loosing horses. 

Reading up seems very conflicting advice with manufactures saying it’ll increase Bhp where others suggesting the opposite. Has anyone gone down this route? I’d love to visit some of the quieter tracks but ultimately don’t want to spend a fortune to undo some of the extra power the bodies give in the first place 

jackherer

I started replying to this but I got a sense of deja vu -

I own a Pipercross C6100 airbox now but I haven't tried it yet, I need to move my catchtank and oil filler before it will fit.

blandy

Yeah I know but hoping a year on someone may have tried it also did search but couldn’t find the original thread as would of revived that if so. 

Be interested to see how you get on.  I left it as was in the 205 as wouldn’t of had the room to do what I originally wanted but the engine is now rehoused in a 306 and have stacks of room that could accommodate a decent sized box

Edited by blandy

Andy

Hi. Yes. I had one and used it for a while. It does quieten down the induction noise significantly compared to the more usual  

domed foam filter . However, on my car the edge of the box fouled the bonnet very slightly so moved on to the more usual ( and noisy) foam air filter

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

blandy

Brilliant thanks do you know if it had a positive affect on performance? 

Biggles

I was interested in this as the average trackday would have a duckfit at how noisy the intake is on my EW (sounds soooo nice though).  Sadly, it would cost me (performance and) a remap as you're limited to 46mm trumpets as it's not very deep (mine are a bit longer than that). 

jackherer

That's a good point, I guess I got lucky with mine because after much experimentation I ended up using very short trumpets (20mm or something!)

Jenvey sell a dished backplate which would give you the depth but you might struggle to get it under a 205 bonnet. That might still be an option for Blandy in a 306 though. https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bodies-and-components/air-boxes/airbox-backplate-50dp-carbon-abb250c

Andy

Hi. I used 40mm trumpets with this airbox and the same length now with my Pipercross filter. The car was mapped with the airbox fitted and since then, I swapped out the airbox but also fitted a Miles Horne exhaust manifold. Changing the former made no discernible difference; changing the latter improved the engine significantly . So, in summary, airbox quietens down the intake noise . There may be a performance difference but you would need to be on  a rolling road to measure it. 

Thijs_Rallye

We also had issues at the track with intake sound, we also used the pipercross airbox and added a self fabricated airbox with additional sound deadening (same stuff as used on doors / boot floors etc) as well.

The standard pipercross sock which is supplied in the airbox proved to be very restrictive on the dyno.

IMAG1760.jpg

Edited by Thijs_Rallye
typo
  • Like 1

jackherer
3 hours ago, Andy said:

also fitted a Miles Horne exhaust manifold. [...] improved the engine significantly

That's been my experience too, the exhaust manifolds really do make a noticeable improvement. Mine has developed a blow that I need to repair and it has knocked it so far off tune it's hard to believe.

2 hours ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

The standard pipercross sock which is supplied in the airbox proved to be very restrictive on the dyno. 

OK noted. I did wonder about that as it doesn't look very good. They're colloquially known as a 'witches tit' apparently.

Your airbox with sound deadening is reminiscent of the Lotus Cortina air box:

l-c2donk.jpg

• Like 1

blandy

Thanks for the reply’s ... 

With regards to the filter the likes of the reverie which unfortunately is the most expensive option it allows to still run a domed filter inside the box, Cheaper  alternatives you would run a filter on the end of the intake hose (100mm hose)  

is is there a bennifit to running either option of filter? I.e is a single filter on the hose going to be more restrictive and affect performance cost wise it’s probably around £200 cheaper to run a different box with a remote filter as opposed to the reverie zolder. 

Sounds expensive but but after spending money on a high comp engine every horse is expensive to get 

blandy

just to recap ive took the plunge and ordered a fibreglass box from reverie so will see how it gets on when it goes on the dyno 

Biggles

I'll be interested to hear how much it quietens it down ...

SweetBadger

Have just fitted one to the race car - off to Brands Hatch tomorrow, got pulled off the track there previously due to noise, hopefully this helps.

I have a trumpet tray, so the trumpets only stick out about 15mm into the air box. Have not had the map tweaked for the box so not ideal, but hopefully it won't mess with the fuelling too badly.

Will see if I can get them to let me know what the drive-by noise figure is.

Might whip it off at the end of the day and go full noise, see how long I last before the black flag comes out!:D

IMG_0417.jpg

welshpug

looks like you have the lotus bodies there, not sure why but they had quite a distinctive sound and noisier than the old off the shelf short jenveys, maybe just hitting the right resonance in the intake pulses!!

blandy

Be interested to see how you get on. I’ve fitted the box but engines still sat in a stand so hopefully fit this weekend but will be a good few weeks away from mapping to hear it properly 

SweetBadger

Had a great day, and it was noticeably quieter, both on the way to the track (no more ringing ears on the motorway), and on track. No issues with the noise police. I think it lost a bit of power top end - not as willing to rev out, but fine for a TrackDay.

Well spotted welshpug - it is on the old lotus bodies, just with different trumpets (sadly the originals got smashed when the bottom engine mount wore out and the engine headbutted the slam panel!)

They certainly make a nice noise on full chat, sort of raspy, angry bee!

Here’s a short vid of it coming over the mountain at Cadwell Park a couple of years ago:

blandy

Sounds promising then can’t wait to hear the difference 

1BFE4198-7CF5-4A20-A101-2044D460948B.jpeg

• Like 1

Biggles

Not going to ask where the air filter is given the length of hose ...

blandy

Air filter is inside the box.  Undecided as of yet where the intake is going as hose is a standard length to trim to suit. It is a track car only so no need to worry about water etc etc - what I am concerned about is getting a nice routing as the obvious choice of fog light isn’t ideal 

SweetBadger

Get a spare headlight, then knock the glass out and chop off the back. Makes a perfect cold air scoop / vent. You could attach the duct directly to the back of it.

Only takes a minute to swap out your working headlight for the vent one.

Painted the reflector black on mine - see pic:

9684715E-2350-459C-A4EE-0CCDA3FAE13A.png

Edit: oh sorry just realised you have a 306 - might not work so well!

Edited by SweetBadger

blandy

That’s the plan at the min as will be a nice direct route - making it look tidy is another challenge though 

blandy

Finally got on the dyno today. Tested back to back with the airbox and then a run without and with the airbox we gained a massive ..... 3bhp lol. On the plus side it didn’t loose any but certainly not the most cost effective modification although my main reason for fitting was noise and can confirm it’s literally night and day with it being so much quieter with the box fitted. 

• Like 1

Biggles

Good to know it makes a difference.  Thanks for the update.