• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dwainb1986

mi16 conversion

dwainb1986

Hi all im new to this site so any info is greatfull.

Ok so ive recently purchased a 205 gti limited edition with a blown engine, i originally wanted to keep it standard but have just purchased a newly rebuilt mi16 engine so decided to fit this lump instead. Ive done some reasearch and found its fits with minor mods e.g both manifold are very close. Do the standard gti drive shafts fit fine and what engine mounts should i use as the standard ones will not be strong enough with the tiny room under there. 

Any info and some easy tips would be great .thankyou 

boldy205

You are best using a re angled exhaust manifold, or a wedge plate (if they are still available) . I might even have a wedge plate in the garage......

A lot of people use Group N mounts, they are rather hard and do make the car vibrate. I found the top mount buffers (pyramid shape) to be very noisy, so fitted new standard ones.

You will need 1.9 GTi hubs and drive shafts (I think) and it will all fit.

Hope that helps!

dwainb1986

What does the wedge plate do? Will that cure the exhaust on the bulkhead problem? Did the standard gti engine mounts cope with the power? They didnt move too much and cause the engine to touch anything?

welshpug

standard mounts cope fine if not worn out.

dwainb1986

Thankyou. 

I have 1.9 brakes front gti6 rear so guess i need to buy 1.9 hubs and driveshafts now ,got wiring loom airflow meter etc so just few last bits to buy

petert

Wedge looks like this. Goes between manifold and head, to change the angle of the downpipe etc.

mi16_wedge1.jpg

Thijs_Rallye
8 hours ago, boldy205 said:

A lot of people use Group N mounts, they are rather hard and do make the car vibrate. I found the top mount buffers (pyramid shape) to be very noisy, so fitted new standard ones. 

I agree, I can recommend the standard 306 XU one with "inverted" pyramids. Fits snugly in the mount unlike the standard construction.

jr8scw.jpg

Edited by Thijs_Rallye

allanallen

I’ve found 1600 driveshafts in good condition to be fine for an mi16 road car. 

If if you do go down the route of sourcing 1900 hubs and shafts be careful what you buy. BBJ holes in most hubs are very tired now and out of shape. Plenty of people pedaling early type 306 hubs as 205 items  too, they fit but the geometry is all wrong. 

A lot of re-manufactured shafts are painfully bad too! 

jackherer
12 hours ago, boldy205 said:

I found the top mount buffers (pyramid shape) to be very noisy, so fitted new standard ones.

Did you have the anti-bang spring fitted? (P/n 1809 04)

dwainb1986

Thanks guys. So i can actually use 1.6 shafts?? And not sure on anti bang spring? Had full beam built around 4 years ago maybe it wad fitted.. i tjink once its in the hardest thing is wiring im usless with wires so if any1 knows a good auto electrican near leeds that would be fab !!! Do you reckon the 1.9 calipers with 1.6 disks and gti rear calipers and brakes will have plenty of stoping ?? Feels great in this car ! 

jackherer

Your original driveshafts and brakes will be fine for an Mi16 conversion, it doesn't matter if they are 1.6 or 1.9 as long as they are in good condition. Many conversions have been done with the original shafts and brakes with no issues.

The wiring is very simple, your best bet is to see if someone from this forum that is local to you can help out. An auto electrician will almost certainly have no idea where to start!

4 hours ago, dwainb1986 said:

And not sure on anti bang spring?

That question was aimed at boldy205!

dwainb1986

Perfect and thankyou !! 

Im also considering carbs? Whats peoples reviews on this ?keep it standard or put a set of carbs on? I had twin 45s on an d mk1 fiesta that sounded amazing went well but always needed fiddling with ?

jackherer

I'd stick with the injection, you said it yourself really, it'll sound nice but it'll always be a compromise that is not quite adjusted right and I'd be surprised if it went much better anyway.

My Mi16 has individual throttle bodies with aftermarket management so it's the best of both worlds but it's hard to justify the expense really...

Start by fitting your Mi16 with it's standard injection and enjoy a very nice power increase and an improvement in reliability over the 8v Jetronic injection (in my opinion!)

dwainb1986

Thanks jack !! You get too carried away looking online and before you know it a simple conversion becomes a massive project .. 

• Haha 1

Simes

Alternatively instead of mi16 inlet and injection stick a gti6 inlet on.

lots of the mi16 parts such as the throttle body can be quite worn out.

I’ve had both, now I run ITB’s too.

My rebuild thread might help you.

dwainb1986

Thankyou.ive just come across another problem that my car has power steering !! Any ideas on howcto wire this upto the mi engine? 

jackherer

Either find an Mi16 PAS pump which is driven from the end of the exhaust cam and bolts on top of the gearbox or convert to a 106/Saxo electric PAS pump. Or remove the PAS and convert to manual steering but that's a backward step really.

Andy

That looks like an interesting solution. I assume it is electro-hydraulic and the control is via the valving in the power rack, just like the saxo/106 solution . Neat. .

oh. Injuries. Knocked some bark off my shoulder, forearm/elbow, hip and knee, so pretty sore. Tried a ten mile time trial last night with my club and rode like an injured old man (oh, I am an injured old man)  resulting me posting the third slowest time of the evening. Luckily I was not last as that would have cost me a fortune at the bar afterwards. !! 

dwainb1986

Thankyou.. ive looked at previous alloy block mi16 and some have like a cap on the right side of the head ? Mine has a pulley opposite the cam?what is this pulley for ? Also does any1 know of a good place i could get the inlet manifold shortened so i dont have to move the radiator

petert

The Merc setup is a bit more intelligent than the 106/307 version, as it only has two connecting wires. It does load sensing internally.

The XU9J4 has a pulley on the end of the exhaust cam, which drives the pump.

post-2864-0-63645500-1392965493.jpg

Edited by petert

dwainb1986

Ok so is there no way i can use the power steering pump from my 205 gti?