• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Uberderv

Brake setup identificatiin

Uberderv

Hi everyone :) I'm hoping you guys could identify the brake shoe setup in the pic as it doesn't match what's displayed on the service box image. 

I've also asked at a parts place on EBay but I'm just not sure who is right. I also need a new cylinder too.

Car is a K reg 1.8td GRDT.

20180514_114931.jpg

j_turnell

Should have all you need to know there. Shoes are a stock size throughout apart from the 1.6 gti afaik. You have bendix cylinders which have round holes. Any decent parts place should be able to get hold of them.

Uberderv

The hole is oval, the cylinder isn't really the problem it's the shoes as they don't match service box for my VIN.

Unfortunately for me the drum and wheel is back on so can't measure it at the min.

20180516_124839.jpg

welshpug

they are girling brake shoes, I believe on a DT are the same 180x40mm as a 1.6 gti, but the braking system is a diagonal split with integral pressure limiters in the wheel cylinders.

• Like 1

Uberderv

The EBay company says they are 180x41.5mm, brake system TRW. They fit quite a few Renaults too.

welshpug

i believe they should be 4402 73 and 4402 74, there are delphi branded ones on ebay at £31 each, most motorfactors can supply delphi or similar brands and may be cheaper.

Uberderv

Cheers for the help. I've just bought a set which comes with the springs made by EBC. They have all the right holes so I hope the dimensions are correct.

s-l400.jpg

Ozymandis

Thats the base model Girling set up, handed left and right,19mm dia cylinders with self regulators, the shoes are the thinner base model180x 30mm type not the GTI 180x40mm type. The ebay ones you show are too wide.

Ozymandis
Uberderv

Thanks Ozymandis, so the correct cylinder would be 4402 74 (RH) even though the bigger diameter one is also listed for the diesel.

Screenshot_20180602-102009_Opera.jpg

Uberderv

Car has no ABS BTW.

Tom Fenton

The larger diameter is listed as “DIESEL AND VAN”, that in servicebox speak translates to “Diesel Vans” only, not “Diesels” and “Vans”.

Kind of makes sense giving a van slightly more powerful brakes.

Uberderv

Cheers Tom. The EBay seller kindly cancelled the shoes which is good.

Ozymandis
Uberderv

Thanks everyone, got both parts coming now and a fair bit cheaper than ECP etc.... :)

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

Can I just double check,  so in the first photo this is a Girling set up?

(for a uk car this is the driver side pic shown as the hand brake cable lever is on the left) 

I get this drawn sketch as per picture attached now from the haynes so unless haynes is wrong this is Girling. 

ok trying not to get this too confused the diagram shows the passenger side so the hand brake cable is on the right but in general its just a mirror image - the components match sketch and picture as girling. 

ok so it's confusing that there is a bendix slave cylinder in the picture but the arrangement is girling right? 

20210913_102223[1].jpg

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

ok its girling - no worries have got it now ;)