• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Rallye

205 Rallye (eurostyle) mi16

Tom Rallye

Right, after reading for a few years I thought it might be a good time to start my own topic.

After having owned a 205 Gti 1.9 from 1994 until 1996 I allways knew I again wanted one, so when the chance to buy a eurostyle Rallye 1.9 presented itself in 2006 I had to buy it.

Stored it for a couple of years and in 2015 did a swap to an mi16 and full Gti suspension and 266 brakes to get it on the road.

The mi16 worked well for a while , but started rattling. I wanted to look at the bearings, but I didn't get that far as the engine seized all of a sudden... 

So it was rebuild time.

A guy I knew over in Holland (who really knows his 205's)  offered me to do the built, so I took him up on his offer.

Brought the engine to him and he totally rebuild it: new pistons and liners, skimmed head, new valves, balanced and lightened flywheel, clutch, crank, rods and pistons, new Catcams inletshaft, LSD diff, ...

The engine was ready in april 2017, but the camcover wasn't very nice and that bothered me. I had it sandblasted and painted and installed it on the engine.

Then it was time to start the engine: It went well for a few minutes, but then suddenly oilpressure dropped. I didn't immediately knew what caused it so I ran it for a few km's to run the engine in. That didn't help so we decided to take it back apart.

It turned out that there was some residu of the sandblastinggrid in the breather of the camcover and that went trough the engine.

Horrorpicktime:

205.jpg

205-2.jpg

205-3.jpg

Tom Rallye

We're having everything measured up at the moment.

So far the liners,1 piston and the oilpump need to replaced. Crank and rods survived the ordeal.

The head hasn't been measured yet, but I hope it will be OK. The holes where the tappets fit in are badly scratched though...

Edited by Tom Rallye

petert

That's bad luck. Rest assured you aren't the first to have sand blasted the cam cover and neglected to remove and clean the breather labyrinth.

Tom Rallye

The rebuilt has started. Everything was cleaned with ultasound and measured.

Luckily only one piston needed to be changed. New sleeves, oilpump, valveguides and all the bearings were ordered.

IMG-20180906-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20181011-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20181013-WA0000.jpg

Tom Rallye

We've got it running again!

On first view the oilpressure seems to be good: cold engine and running on idle gives around 5 bar. When you rev to 2500 rpm the pressure rises to 6,5. Didn't have the chance to let it warm up, but let's hope it's fixed and the pressure stays high enough...

Tom Rallye

To cut a long story short, the engine was run for  half an hour and it presented the same issue, so decided to give up on this engine and sold it in parts.

Meanwhile, legislation changed in Belgium and it has become very risky to put a 16v engine in a 8v car. It is very likely it would not pass the MOT so I was looking at building a new 8v engine wich looked as original as possible but wich has a bit more tuning potential internally.

I stumbled across an item onhere about someone who had tuned a XU10J2 and that seemed a nice option: It looks standard if I fit the 1.9 inlet and internally it is the same as a GTI6 engine.

I bought an old 306 XSI engine and started collecting the "nice" bits: GTI6 throttle body, had an adapter made to fit the throttle body to the inlet, Newman PH3 cam, Maniflow exhaust manifold, vernier pulley, ...

The plan is to skim the head to reach a compression of 11:1, 3D valve cuts, ARP bolts and a standalone ecu. I'm aiming at 150+ hp, but the inlet becomes restrictive around that figure, so let's see how far we can get it...

When I nearly had all the bits, an advert on a Belgian site came up for a XU10 engine from an XM 130 hp (SI) wich has spent its live on a testbench in the thermodynamic department of the university of Liege. It looked vitually brandnew, so I went over and got it home for 200 euros...

I've spent the last two days on making a hybrid out of the two engines: Injection system of the XSI was transplanted to the XM, flyweel, undertray in the sump, enginemount, ...

Now it's ready for it's journey to the Netherlands where it will be checked and tuned. One point that needs investigating: the engine was connected to city water for cooling and that left a residu in the watercircuit. It's a soft residu, so I hope it can be flushed out (I tried a bit and that seemed to work).

Will take some patience now as the guy wo will do the engine is repairing his 205 with t16 engine after he crashed it on Alpe d'Huez this summer.

The story continues...

20190104_172224.jpg

cybernck

Shame about the engine issues but interesting nonetheless. Any updates?

wicked

Car has been sold a while ago..