• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mmt

Hammer time?

mmt

Hi guys,

I am replacing a door. However the pins attaching the door to the car are somewhat rusty. 

I have soaked the pins in wd40. Do I hammer them Down and out? 

Are they reusable? (If I do not smash them).

Thanks. 

barneys66

For mine you could have done them either way - it's a Phase 1 though and I know there are different hinges for the later cars.

Mine were stuck solid so I ended up taking the door off the hinge for better access (i.e. for a bigger hammer!)

26163131947_52a2fca499_k.jpg

mmt

Thanks. Took another look to night. It is easier to change the hinge rather than hammering out the pins. 

What’s the difference between the series  1 - 1.5 and 2 doors? Are they all interchangeble? 

jackherer

Phase 1 doors are different in the internal lock pin area compared to phase 1.5 and phase 2.

Phase 2 doors have different hinges to phase 1 and phase 1.5 but obviously these unbolt.

Tom Fenton

Also I think the area the wiring loom passes through is different from the early to late doors that use the quick release plugs.

mmt

Thanks. What is the “internal lock pin”? 

Is everything interchangeble? I Would take everything except wiring) from the old Bent door and install it into the new door. 

Edited by mmt

MattCPR

If you manage to knock the pins out and need some new ones then give me a shout as I have some new ones you can have. 

jackherer

The 'internal lock pin' is the plastic rod at the top of the inside of the door that you pull up to unlock the door or push down to lock it.

mmt

The internal lock pins are indeed different between My two doors. 

How do I get them out? And How do I get the surrounding plastic of? 

4688217F-0FA2-4A3D-943E-0E8F0BC8C2A0.jpeg

mmt

All fixed now. Everything including lock pin and surrounding plastic is interchangeble. Just made nydelig a Phase 1 door out of a phase 2 door. 

Thanks for pointers and help.