• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Philpooma

Gearbox identification

Philpooma

Hi all, I’m looking for some help please.

I have a UK 205 1.4 Rallye which has had its engine, brakes and suspension modified prior to my ownership.

The syncro has worn on first gear (Which is a surprise) I’m looking to identify if the current gearbox is the original one, before I start looking for a replacement or rebuild.

I have searched the Internet, but the codes on the gearbox dont seem to come up anywhere, codes shown on a bar coded sticker on the gearbox are as follows;

2CB74

I would like to find out what ratios this has.

If its a close ratio box

If I could use a box from an XS model

I’m not looking for a cruiser gearbox, just one thats good for fast road use.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Wallby

I think that code is missing a number, It could be 20CB74 (I know a 106 rallye gearbox is 20CB90), a quick search mentions a Citroen AX 1.1!

If your happy with the ratios just get that box rebuilt?

Tom Fenton

How often do you change into 1st on the move! 1st gear synchro worn out to me isn’t really worth the hassle rebuilding the box for. 2nd or 3rd are the usual culprits and agreed are annoying enough to warrant doing something about it.

Philpooma

Thanks for the reply Wallby.

I have taken the code from a sticker on the CB case, but what you say makes sense. Have you a site you can direct me to that will help me to identify the ratios in this CB?

Basically I could pick up a box with a code of 20CA63 but I would like to know if its the same or lower geared than what I have.

Philpooma
10 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

How often do you change into 1st on the move! 1st gear synchro worn out to me isn’t really worth the hassle rebuilding the box for. 2nd or 3rd are the usual culprits and agreed are annoying enough to warrant doing something about it.

I know what you mean Tom. However if I stop at a junction and dont double declutch or alternatively put it into second and then into first, it crunches into gear. You cannot stop and quickly move off.

I did check the clutch cable as I thought that it could be clutch drag, but the cable is in tolerance and all other gears are good.

It does seem strange that first has worn, I would have expected 2nd gear to be more susceptible to wear.