• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Braymond

Engine cutting out following knocking distributor

Braymond

UPDATE: Turns out is also knocked a connector off the the ignition thingy just by the header tank.... moron

Afternoon all,

I replaced a couple of knackered coolant hoses this morning, one of which is the one that runs across the bulk head, back to the reservoir.

In scrabbling about getting the old hose off, I knocked the distributor cap off. I then noticed it was a bit grimy and there was a bit of oil in there.

Cleaned it up best I could and popped it back on.

Now when I start the engine, it cuts out after about a second.

What have I done and how can I fix it?

Edit: in turning out over a few more times, I can hear a faint click just before it cuts out. The same little ping you get when an immobiliser is activated. However, mine has long since been by passed by a previous owner and has therefore never required use of the little fob/ plug thing.

Not sure if this is relevant or not..

Edited by Braymond

Thijs_Rallye

I assume it is a jetronic. Check all the wiring at the ignition coil. The click you hear is most likely the tachy relay which shuts down the fuel pump because it doesn't "see" the RPM signal atm, which it gets from the coil. So check all wiring where you have been messing about ;).

Braymond

Spot on