• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ian010778

Where to rest a driveshaft?

ian010778

Hi all,

I removed the driver's side driveshaft tonight - all went well with the intermediate bearing and I managed not to pull the boot off so I'm happy.

However I need to keep the driveshafts in the hubs as I'll be pushing the car around to remove the engine and gearbox but I can't seem to get the driver's side shaft into a 'comfortable' position that isn't either pressing on the bearing housing and/or the splines which enables me to put the ball joint back in the hub.

The passenger side shaft is wrapped in padding and tied loosely around the wishbone so it can rotate freely with the road wheel but I'm stuck as to where I should position the driver's side so I can push the car around and not damage anything.

Any ideas welcomed please.

Ian.

Putte205

Easiest way is a pair of old shafts cut up to put in the bearings. A big bolt and some washers to hold the bearing together works just as well

• Like 1

ian010778
5 hours ago, Putte205 said:

Easiest way is a pair of old shafts cut up to put in the bearings. A big bolt and some washers to hold the bearing together works just as well

Thanks Patrik,

Ian.

Tom Fenton

If you are only wheeling it back and forth in your garage it will be OK without a shaft in. If you were planning to tow it down the road on a rope at 30mph then yes you would need to do something to hold the bearing together.

ian010778

Cheers Tom, it's only going a few feet into the garage and back to hoist the engine and gearbox out.

Ian