• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SootySport

Rebuild or Buy Engine

SootySport

As I'll soon be refurbing my Pug I'm in 2 minds on whether to rebuild what I have, XU 1.6 or just buy a ready built engine from 3D Motorsport.     Just buying an engine of the shelf would save me a lot time and the overall cost would end up the same the way I do things.     Any good or bad comments about 3D Motorsport engines welcome, hopefully all good.

Telf

ive had a lot of satisfaction building my engine- its probably cost about £1000 though. depends on if you are confident and can be bothered!

SootySport

Yes I'm confident building a Peugeot engine ,  I've re-built plenty of others over the years.    3D Motorsport engine come in around £1300 so not a big difference.

Telf

I mean parts wise its cost about £600 then I spent another £300 on the head... if I add the vapour cleaning that's another £300...hmmm I think ill stop thinking about it now!

Tom Fenton

Personally I don’t believe in replacing things for the sake of it. So I would strip it, measure and assess what was needed and then rebuild. 

camgti

Also bear in mind the originality. If its the original engine for the car it would be nice to salvage it as Tom has pointed out also. 

There wouls be a number of build threads to skim over to aid your ease of build considering your skills already. 

Andy

I have used 3D Motorsport and found him to be excellent . Equally, I have built a number of engines and absolutely loved the process . I think it depends upon how much time you have available and what else needs doing to your car besides an engine rebuild . When I used 3D I was a 205 novice  and had lots of other jobs to do on the car and under severe time pressure ( rented garage which was time limited ) so I used 3D for an engine. Have to say that Eliot did an excellent job and gave great value for money . As Tom says , however, even on a high mileage engine, there are lots of parts that, after checking, can often be re-used. Equally, the costs can begin to rise quite steeply if one gets into what the military call ‘mission creep’ . I have done / am doing that on my latest Mi16 build .............

Telf

mission creep LoL

If the military set out to build an engine you'd still be waiting 2 years later for spares or someone to make a decision

Andy

That’s o.k I was not expecting the military to build it 

toolie72
1 hour ago, Andy said:

That’s o.k I was not expecting the military to build it 

It’d be bomb proof though!

im rebuilding mine, very slowly but I’m quite enjoying it (it’ll be done at the end of the good weather no doubt)

SootySport
22 hours ago, camgti said:

Also bear in mind the originality. If its the original engine for the car it would be nice to salvage it as Tom has pointed out also. 

There wouls be a number of build threads to skim over to aid your ease of build considering your skills already. 

Good point,. They will rebuild my engine so keeping all the numbers original.  As for mission creep,. The amount of work on their engine will be agreed beforehand so no further expense, says I who has in the past gone a  few steps further than originally anticipated, LOL.

There's plenty to do elsewhere on the car whilst the engine is rebuilt, don't want the rebuild dragging  on for years and summer trackdays just started, Rockingham next Friday.

Thanks all for your input.

camgti

Good option. Is it a standard engine? 

You could shave the head 1.2mm, 3angle seats and mild throat work, a slightly lumpier stick and she should lerform well and reliably. 

Cam

SootySport
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:27 AM, camgti said:

Good option. Is it a standard engine? 

You could shave the head 1.2mm, 3angle seats and mild throat work, a slightly lumpier stick and she should lerform well and reliably. 

Cam

I was intending using a standard engine with a little extra optimising as you mention but will it be worth it with the standard fuel injection?  or will I need to change over to an aftermarket ECU such as Omex.  Gets expensive then.

Telf

on mine I just had a 3 angle seat, skimmed it and had it cleaned to within an inch of its life- engines waiting to be fitted now- im hoping it makes decent power- if its makes the original stated figures I'd be really happy. Hoping it will as the compression is slightly higher post skim.

camgti
On 6/3/2018 at 12:39 AM, SootySport said:

I was intending using a standard engine with a little extra optimising as you mention but will it be worth it with the standard fuel injection?  or will I need to change over to an aftermarket ECU such as Omex.  Gets expensive then.

Im running one like this and it is fine. Just use the Gti cam from the non cat car and do a skim + 3angle seats. Not mind blowing just smooth and a touch stronger. Standard management is fine. 

SootySport

It is a non cat car so ok in that dept.