• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HelmutGTI

Fuel Vapor System?

HelmutGTI

As the title says, I want to refurbish my fuel vapor system.

Is some parts still availible from Peugeot?

I havent found any after market kits or similar.

I´ve read some scrap the hole system, iIs it possible to do that? and if so, how do you do it?

Regards Patrik

DamirGTI

People mostly just remove the system .. if theres no need for it for passing MOT , depends on the country/from where you're coming from i guess .

Not sure if you can obtain new items to rebuild/complete the EVAP system making it fully functional . Service box will tell you if the parts are still available , or ask @ Peugeot dealer (but prepare part numbers by yourself first to speed up the process !)

Anyways , theres not much to the system itself .. and if im not mistaken , base model EVAP parts (from TU SPi 205's) can also be used to rebuild/complete non functional GTI system ... carbon canister looks about the same as GTI one if not the same/identical , EVAP valve also .. the rest is just various tubing with fittings .

If you want to remove it , strip all the bits down except the EVAP solenoid valve (if it's still good) .. and leave the valve connected to it's wiring loom as otherwise it'll trigger the engine check light and the engine will "misbehave" slightly .. if you want to remove the valve also or if the valve is bad , bridge the valve connector terminals with 1.2k ohm resistor and solder it on the terminals (that'll keep the ECU from triggering EVAP system code) .

D

HelmutGTI
12 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

People mostly just remove the system .. if theres no need for it for passing MOT , depends on the country/from where you're coming from i guess .

Not sure if you can obtain new items to rebuild/complete the EVAP system making it fully functional . Service box will tell you if the parts are still available , or ask @ Peugeot dealer (but prepare part numbers by yourself first to speed up the process !)

Anyways , theres not much to the system itself .. and if im not mistaken , base model EVAP parts (from TU SPi 205's) can also be used to rebuild/complete non functional GTI system ... carbon canister looks about the same as GTI one if not the same/identical , EVAP valve also .. the rest is just various tubing with fittings .

If you want to remove it , strip all the bits down except the EVAP solenoid valve (if it's still good) .. and leave the valve connected to it's wiring loom as otherwise it'll trigger the engine check light and the engine will "misbehave" slightly .. if you want to remove the valve also or if the valve is bad , bridge the valve connector terminals with 1.2k ohm resistor and solder it on the terminals (that'll keep the ECU from triggering EVAP system code) .

D

WOW THANKS!

Great Help. I Will now def remove it, No regulations on such old cars as this in Sweden. In 2 years it will become a veteran and law of usingf seat belts will be removed and also it will become Tax free.

DamirGTI

Tax free ??

Right , i'll get my coat , pack my bags and i'm off to Sweden !!

D

MrStock

If you remove the system under the left wheel arch, should you close the line to the tank completly at the tank or under the wheel? And should you close the line on the valve also completly? i have fuel smell  on  both gtis, and iam  pretty sure its from this system.

Bakes100

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but I think you are both referring to different things.

I believe the valve in the rear wheel arch is required to allow air into the fuel tank as the level goes down. If you remove and block the pipe there will be a negative air pressure in the tank which will increase the more fuel you use.

Thijs_Rallye
1 hour ago, MrStock said:

If you remove the system under the left wheel arch, should you close the line to the tank completly at the tank or under the wheel? And should you close the line on the valve also completly? i have fuel smell  on  both gtis, and iam  pretty sure its from this system. 

The canister in the front wing is for "catching" the vapors that come from the tank, which are being fed back to the intake under part load. You can block the pipe that comes from the tank, the one in the rear arch should remain open for filling and emptying the tank as Stuart says. 

You should leave the purge valve connected or replace it with a 1000 Ohm resistor.

As for the smell, have a look at your fuel lines under the rear seat. Might be they are going bad since they are really old by now and the 5% to 7,5% ethanol content in regular 95 and 98 fuel doesn't help either. (the lines aren't ethanol resistant)

MrStock

Thx for your replies,

@Thijs i replaced all lines from tank to fuel injectors with baker pm parts, but it didnt help. The canister looks very rusty and damaged, so i think this could be the problem.

If i remove the System as you say, where do the vapors go than? Dont they do a positive pressure in the tank? Or go the through the rear arch lines?

Thijs_Rallye

The fumes will go out the top tank breather (near the filling neck) if you close up the EVAP canister connection. If it has a really strong fuel smell in the back of the car I would suspect the top breather hose, for which the tank has to be lowered if you want to inspect it. Mine had slid off during reassembly of the tank a while ago. But I was leaking fuel as well when the tank was filled to the brim.

IMAG0208.jpg