• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

As part of my ongoing 205 refurb I thought I might make myself a new engine loom.

Having looked on service box I cant see any listing for parts such as plugs etc- anybody have any idea how to go about this?

Thanks

jackherer

Things like the injector plugs are just junior timer connectors which are available widely, or you can use the improved junior power timer connectors. http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/section.php/114/1/junior-timer-and-power-timer-connectors

Everything else is proprietary to Peugeot despite being made by AMP. There used to be a table of part numbers here but it's gone now :( - Peugeot/Citroen Connectors

You can reuse the plastic plug housings and the terminals/pins/blades are available from Peugeot. Next time you're here I'll dig some out and you can get the part numbers from them.

I'll warn you now though that some of the terminals are £0.50 or more for one pin and you can only get them from Peugeot, several of us have spent long periods of time looking for them elsewhere and not got anywhere.

jackherer

There are some part numbers on servicebox but it isn't very informative, click on 'Fastenings, fixings and connectors catalogue' on the bottom left of the page.

Thijs_Rallye

I recently have written the part numbers down somewhere, I'll post it as soon as I find the list.

The female contacts are available via Tyco (TE connectivity, PN: 142685-3), the male ones not available anymore unfortunately.

• Like 1

jackherer
5 minutes ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

The female contacts are available via Tyco (TE connectivity, PN: 142685-3)

Wow, that's news to me!

I've just had a quick search and I can only find them at minimum order quantities of 4000 or more, they're much cheaper than Peugeot at £0.048 but 4000 is still £192! Do you know anywhere selling them in smaller quantities?

Telf

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to remake the entire loom if I can get the correct wire etc.

Ryan
15 hours ago, jackherer said:

There used to be a table of part numbers here but it's gone now :( - Peugeot/Citroen Connectors

The hosting for the site is really unreliable. It works some days and not others, or it goes down for a week at a time without warning. I'm going to move it somewhere else when I get time.

• Like 1

Ryan

It seems to work fine if you leave off the www part of the address.

http://ryanmoore.comule.com/

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thijs_Rallye
14 hours ago, jackherer said:

Wow, that's news to me!

I've just had a quick search and I can only find them at minimum order quantities of 4000 or more, they're much cheaper than Peugeot at £0.048 but 4000 is still £192! Do you know anywhere selling them in smaller quantities?

4000 should be manageable with a group buy imho. I'm in for 500 contacts. 

Getting the males will be a different story though. I have found very similar contacts (lost the PN though :( ) at Tyco but those where also listed as unavailable. Getting them to make those contacts will need upward of 10k order qty I think. 

jackherer

OK good point, I would go for 500 too for sure.

Ryan

Digikey has the female terminals if you search for the manufacturer's part number:

142685-3 for the female terminal for 0.5-1mm cable - equivalent to Peugeot part number 6542 19 or 6542 20
142686-1 for the version for 2-4mm cable - Peugeot part 6542 22

They also have the brown 2-pin housing (142680-1), but not the other sizes or colours.

They're slightly cheaper than buying from Peugeot and there's no minimum quantity on any of those parts, although they do charge £12 postage for orders under £50.

Telf

thanks for this info- I'm going to drag my loom form storage and work out what bits and what wire is needed sometime this week

idoari

I Recently rewire the whole engine loom 

i found all the connectors on ebay store called 3 waycomponents

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/3-Way-Components

they have all the HIGH QUALITY CONNECTORS and/or all the pins in bulk (if you just want to re-pin and use the original connecotrs)

i strongly recommend you to buy from china "pin extractor tool"  - it almost impossible without it..

if you want to go throught the fire-wall gromment solder the old wire to the new wire (as flat as you can - maybe file a little the solder joint) and just a little oil on the wire and pull it through.

good luck

Ido

• Like 1

Telf

ive now stripped the main loom and found no real damage apart from a nick in one of the wires to the brown plug of doom. Also the connector to the temp sensor on the SAD is broken.

The other half of the brown plug of doom is another story- every wire has multiple nicks or insulation splits- basically its had it.

So what options are there?

Ideally I'd like to replace the plug and loom but I'm thinking I may just splice directly onto the engine loom and remove the plug completely.

Tom Fenton

Get rid of the brown plug. If you follow the wires for the oil pressure switches x2 and the alternator these can pop out of the loom together in the right area. Same for the starter wire. Then just remake the 3 wires (yellow red white) for the stat housing and oil temp sender. Easy tbh. 

• Like 1

Thijs_Rallye

I used a set of these to replace (and re-make) the sensor loom. It takes the regular Bosch timer contacts.

fep28-8p-male-leeg-stekkerhuis.jpg

• Like 1

Telf

I was thinking I might just splice the whole lot directly into the loom whilst I've got it all out the car.

Also need to remake the battery and starter loom as that's knackered as well!

Telf

Before I start chopping into the engine loom, and being as the car has been in bits for quite awhile can someone confirm that the engine sensors loom and the brown plug does indeed come from the main loom (ie the one that plugs into the ECU)

ta

lm1.jpg

lm2.jpg

Thijs_Rallye

The pictures you've posted are certainly the sensor loom. I can't tell how or if it is spliced in the ECU loom because I only have a LHD as reference, which could be different. On a LHD these are separate looms, ECU comes from the right hand side of the car, sensors from the left hand side.

Telf

I knew Id seen this on the forum somewhere

And a very handy diagram

loom.jpg

Telf

As Tom said I think I'm going to remove the brown plug completely and splice directly into the main loom.

Looking at the diagram above I figure that:

pin 2,3,4,6,7 should all be low amp cable ( based on the fact they are sensor wires) - I was going to use 5 amp standard cable.

Pin 1 (alternator) and 5 (Start solenoid) must be higher rated. Looking at the thread I linked 30 amp is stated for the Starter solenoid but nothing for the other lines.

Well I say the Alternator must be higher rated but that's an assumption- its probably the excitation line and therefore not a particularly high load.

So anybody have any idea ?

The cables all look similar size apart from the starter solenoid which is thicker.

plug 1.jpg

Edited by Telf

Tom Fenton

As you say only the starter wire is higher rated. To be honest if I were you I’d hold off modifying the loom till the engine is back in and you can lay the loom out where it goes, then you will be able to do the job once and get all the lengths correct etc

Telf

Tom,

I'm doing all the cabling whilst its not fitted and I've got time. The bloody car is supposed to be on the Nurburgring in July!

I'm going to replace the cable and splice into a nice flat section of the loom - so under the inlet manifold- and add a bit extra to make sure there is enough. Ill loop and tie back any excess or just cut the spade connectors off and reterminate.

So the highest rated cable I can find locally is 27 Amp - 5 amp for the rest I think

Telf

Having done some further research Haynes quotes the gauges etc as fused at 25 amps.

I'd have expected that the sensor cables would be fine with 5 amp cable- as in I mean the fuse rating is for the total services on that single fuse- anybody rewired these lines remember what rating cable they used?

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

Telf

so I set to work checking with the fluke and found my loom is slightly different

As per the thread I linked but easily missed :

As Anthony stated back in 2007:

"The underdash plugs are the same on all Phase 1.5 and Phase 2 cars, with the exception that the starter solenoid (46B - blue) and ignition live (2B - red) are swapped between early and late cars and hence needs to be checked ;)"

I've modified the diagram accordingly- not sure but I think my car is in the crossover from phase 1.5 to phase 2

my loom.jpg