• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

camgti

Evening all

just thought I would write up a quick story. 

Ive a 98 Xantia Ct in amazing condition and have done a few of the mods to her that others here have done to this motor in their 205! Once again this site has been a huge help! 

I wanted to open up the engine a little and added a cheap boost controller from ebay. Was rubbish (paid 2$ for it) clearly! Bought a shiny electronic one (turbosmart eboost street) which made a massive difference. Good power from 1900rpm to 4500rpm, almost like a diesel! 

Exhaust was blowing so had a turbo back system made. Was a fraction larger in bore with fresh mufflers. I didnt want any noise so big mufflers it was and a standard down/sideways exit to keep it stealth. 

While it was there we fitted a xu10J2 NA cam and gave it a full service. 

Put it on the dyno to check all was well. 115kw at the wheels so knocking on the door or 200hp and loads of torque. 11ps @ 1900 and 14psi@ 2200-5200 now. Eboost helps hold the boost a little more. Epic bit of gear and Aussie made! 

Few weeks went by and something didnt sound right. Issue with the cam. Have just ordered a new fresh Turbo Cam from Cat Cams and will have that fitted in a few weeks and am exaited to compare that to the J2 cam. Should make a fraction more due to less overlap etc. 

Great fun to drive now but god it drinks the fuel! 

Would be an epic motor in a 205! 

Thanks for reading! 

Edited by camgti
More info

jackherer

I did something similar to an XM once, it ended up performing very much like a 3.0 V6.

What suspension does your Xantia have? I guess you'd have mentioned if it was an Activa like the 2.0Ts in the UK?

petert

I should add to this by saying we did some serious measuring of the XU10J2 and XU10J2TE cams, with the intention of making a custom turbo cam. Unfortunately no billets were available and thus Cameron had to buy the Catcam offering. Whilst the DKZ cam has been a popular swap, you're prossibly better off using the XU10J2 cam.

ie

XU10J2TE

inlet duration @ 0.050" - 212

max inlet lift - 0.381"

exh duration @ 0.050" - 218

max exh lift - 0.432"

XU10J2

inlet duration @ 0.050" - 219

max inlet lift - 0.432"

exh duration @ 0.050" - 219

max exh lift - 0.432"

20five_t

200 bhp isn't bad for boost controller, cam and exhaust.

It'll be interesting to see if the Cat Cams turbo cam adds anything with your setup -  I've seen a few of posts mention them, but never any back to back tests on the 8v turbo.

camgti

Thanks Pete

I too am looking forward to the back to back tests. Ive never been able to find evidence just a lot of talk about it! 

We looked at opening up the exhaust housing of the turbo also (hiflow etc) but the Peugeot specific design of the hairdryer wont allow it. 

We plan to be putting it on the same dyno tontest results. 

Edited by camgti

Tom Fenton

Wondering if you plan to measure the Catcams turbo cam once you have it? I've toyed with the idea of changing the cam in my 1600T. I use the NA 1600 GTI camshaft in mine, boost threshold is maybe slightly higher than it would be, but I like that it doesn't run out of puff at 5k rpm.

camgti

No problem Tom. 

Heres what we know so far

Inlet

Duration @ 0.1mm - 276°

Duration @ 1.0mm - 235°

Valve lift - 12.25mm

Valve lift @ TDC - 1.85mm

Exhaust

Duration @ 0.1mm - 274°

Duration @ 1.0mm - 237°

Valve lift - 11.60mm

Valve lift @ TDC - 1.85mm

20five_t

I'm planning to build an 8v turbo and was looking at the catcams turbo cams for it  (with xu10j2te block, 1.9 gti head, tt cam, gt2560 turbo etc) - hence the interest.

Just wondering, are you going to get it mapped as part of the  dyno run when you install it?

Edited by 20five_t

20five_t

sorry, meant to say with turbo technics manifold above (rather than tt cam)

camgti

No mapping yet. We have no people here (in Oz) thst would be able to do it I dont think.

As Im staying under (just!) the 1bar boost limit Im hoping the computer will work it out! When changing from Ct Cam to J2 cam the ecu was fine. 

I would ideally like to have it mapped but I just dont think its going to happen. 

I dont really want to spend more money on it. If I did I would probably buy the VEMS plug in ecu for a proper tune! 

petert

I have someone for you Cam, who can do realtime tuning on these chips.

Edited by petert

wicked
On 10-5-2018 at 11:26 AM, petert said:

XU10J2

inlet duration @ 0.050" - 219

max inlet lift - 0.432"

exh duration @ 0.050" - 219

max exh lift - 0.432"

Do you have also the TDC lift or lobe separation angles of that cam? 

The DKZ cam works, because it does not have so much overlap. 

wicked
10 hours ago, 20five_t said:

I'm planning to build an 8v turbo and was looking at the catcams turbo cams for it  (with xu10j2te block, 1.9 gti head, tt cam, gt2560 turbo etc) - hence the interest.

Just wondering, are you going to get it mapped as part of the  dyno run when you install it?

Why not just the 2.0v head? Has bigger inlet valves.. 

petert
50 minutes ago, wicked said:

Do you have also the TDC lift or lobe separation angles of that cam? 

The DKZ cam works, because it does not have so much overlap. 

Lobe separation 110º

When measured on a 106 centreline, it had 0.066" inlet lift @ TDC. Thus less if you set it up at 110 deg.

Overlap period measured at 0.010" lift was 96º.

Edited by petert

20five_t
1 hour ago, wicked said:

Why not just the 2.0v head? Has bigger inlet valves.. 

Still finalising the plan actually - I have a D6B turbo technics set up out a 205 and also a complete xu10j2te engine so could use a 2.0 head.

I was planning just to get the tt engine rebuilt originally, but then thought the xu10 block would be more reliable.  I want to use the 1.9 inlet  and tt exhaust manifolds so seemed easier to use 1.9 head and other tt bits.

Planning to run emerald management and big injectors etc.

wicked

I have a tt manifold on my 2.0 head; don't need a 1.9 head for that. 

The only issue you'll have is the shape of the inlet ports, but that is something an air grinder tool can fix.

Use the throtlle sensor/ idle valve / wasted spark coil of the 2.0 and ditch the dizzy of the 1.9.

20five_t

I see what you’re saying. 

The thing is the xu10j2te has a generally poor reputation (in standard configuration & in a 205 anyway) whereas the turbo technics is something sort of original? I just need to think about what bits will work.

I’m not planning to sell it, but need to keep in mind what it’ll be worth one day. 

I think 2.0 bottom, tt other bits, coil pack , emerald &  gt2560 will give plenty of power. 

Henry Yorke

Differences between XU10 inlet manifold and XU9.  Throttle body on Xu10 is only 50mm compared to 57mm from memory.  You can see where the XU10 inlet marks the XU9 gasket so they are not a perfect fit.

Green Skip 050614 001.jpg

Green Skip 050614 002.jpg

Green Skip 050614 003.jpg

Green Skip 050614 004 (Small).jpg

20five_t

Henry, are you running the xu10 inlet on xu9 head?

Edited by 20five_t

wicked
On 10-5-2018 at 11:26 AM, petert said:

. Whilst the DKZ cam has been a popular swap, you're prossibly better off using the XU10J2 cam.

FYI:

I did some part number checks on service box and found that a lot of XU10J2 have the 0801.P4 cam. 

This one is also used in the 1.9 D6D engine (Peugeot 405), which has pretty similar specs as the DKZ cam. (0801.N5/0801.N9).

According to the Citroen BX haynes, the timing of  both cams is identical. 

From other sources I read that the overlap is 0.5 degrees less on the DKZ cam. 

petert

Except the DKZ cam has only 0.405" lift on the exhaust.

camgti

Ok gents. Getting closer. 

We have also now found someone who can tune the standard ECU. To me this is the most exciting part. Vintage tuning! 

Im expecting the cam in another 2 weeks and from there we can have it on the Dyno soon after. 

Has anyone had experience with these types if tunes with this motor? 

Im not expecting night and day changes, just some fine tuning to make it safe/reliable/powerful! 

Cam

wicked

Did you order this one? 

Catcams 4900360

A friend of mine has it with tubular manifold and GT28R. Impressive cam, but had some trouble to get mapped properly at idle/off boost. 

It has more (not huge) overlap than the DKZ/XU10J2 cam, so I'm curious to see your results with a restrictive manifold/more back pressure.

Edited by wicked

camgti

Yes thats the one. 

Lets hope its not too wild for the ecu or turbo etc. Im not after huge gains just a nice daily motor for the Xantia Barge! 

20five_t

any news on the cam - has it arrived?