• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
murtaghp

Clifford alarm issue or alternator.

murtaghp

Hi All

I have started using my car after it being laid up since October last year and it has developed a very annoying chirp from the alarm sounder. The alarm in question is a Clifford Concept 650 and has been reliable up until now and functions in every way except this annoying chirp. It seems to happen when I drive it for around 5-10 mins and will almost always do it at traffic lights when idling (the annoying part) which has me thinking that maybe it’s a low voltage issue that the alarm is not happy with. I checked the alternator output and it sits around 13.5 volts but, it will fall to 12.6 when all the electrical goodies are on.

I was going to order an alternator but over the weekend, I removed the speaker from the alarm sounder which cured the chirp but left the car as a non-starter. I reconnected the speaker and all was good until I bolted the sounder back in and the car would not start again. I don’t think it was immobilised as it was still turning over just not starting. In addition to this, then the car wouldn’t start, the K light was out (Motronic 1.3). At this point, I suspected that I had a wiring issue around the sounder area (mounted to the inner wing on the RHS) so I had a look over the wiring in the area but couldn’t find anything conclusive. I stuck it all back together and the engine fired with no issues (the K light was back on). I did notice that when the immobiliser is disarmed, there is a relay at on the RHS strut top under a cover which is energised.

If you have made it this far and are still slightly interested, I’m looking for some guidance on the next steps. Do I renew the alternator, bypass the alarm or leave both alone and start looking for a wiring issue?

jackherer

Alarms often have an internal rechargeable battery that dies when cars are laid up for long periods, it might be warning you it isn't charging properly.

murtaghp

I did read that this was a common fault on these alarms and I was looking at a replacement sounder but my symptoms are different to what others are seeing when the internal battery fails.

Anthony

The alternator output does sound on the low side - does the voltage under load increase if you increase the revs?  If not, then the alternator probably does need some attention sooner rather than later as 12.6v is basically not charging.

The lack of K-light suggests the ECU isn't getting powered up when you switch the ignition on.  It wouldn't be the first alarm/immobiliser install I've seen that cuts the ignition feed, so worth checking.

murtaghp

Thanks for the reply Anthony, I’m going to change the alternator as the voltage does not even make it to 13v when I rev it.