• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Hammerite recoat ?!?

DamirGTI

Evening gents !

Doing bodywork on my mates 205 , and not really sure how to solve this without it happening again :

259774383511e01241e688eb06a05ab635a32c43

25977437d0d5c5263c76fc89bf24cc9176ccdebf

259774364ff8a060a6da7b3b007dc5dec51c20f8

... (not done by me ) - the shell was sand blasted round 10 years ago and painted first with the Hammerite ("on the rust" type) and top coated with , dunno which one acrylic cellulose or something else , anyways as to be expected Hammerite reacted with what ever was put on top and made an real mess - heavy paint flaking and cracking .. which then led to rusting , hopefully just surface rust for now .

Now , i've limited use of Hammerite paints myself and even those few made me not using the said paint ever again ! .. the stuff seems to react with pretty much all the other paints .. at least from my experience , acrylic being the worst with which it reacts fastest as well as cellulose .

After cleaning up this mess , rust clean up and sealing with rust converter , i really don't know which paint would be best to use to recoat this with ?! without this happening again ..

Epoxy primer perhaps ? or some type of sealer/isolator ? or , Hammerite again !

Thanks !

D

Bakes100

If it was me i would take it back to bare metal & Epoxy primer it, then top coat of your choice.

Telf

mines being done with epoxy primer then top coated red- or whatever colour I eventually choose..