• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilNW

Camber/caster angles

PhilNW

Assuming the front suspension is set to say 0.5 degrees negative camber

What sort of camber angles can you expect at plus and minus the 20 degrees when measuring total castor angle?

allanallen

I’ve never measured it there but it’ll be bugger all if you’re set at standard castor, 1 degree if you’re lucky. There’s nowhere near enough castor on them

welshpug

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8RxZxDhGikOsJaFkkrwU

PhilNW

I have the settings thanks welshpug just wondered if you are supposed to get equal readings i.e. -1.5° on 20° left and +1.5° on 20° right giving say the 3° in total? OR maybe -1° L and +2° R to give the 3°

Edited by PhilNW

welshpug

only toe works like that.

allanallen

As welshpug says it doesn’t work like that, it’s a compound angle with the top of the damper pointing inwards and rearward.

what exactly are you trying to do? 

Tom Fenton

I get what he means, it’s a way of measuring caster, you turn the wheel out by 20deg, measure camber, turn it in by 20deg, measure camber again, add them together gives you caster angle. I’ve personally never worried too much about the actual number, but on cars with adjustable shizz it’s a useful check that you have set it equally side to side.

PhilNW

Trying to get an idea how much camber gain/loss you get when turning the wheels from straight ahead

Edited by PhilNW

allanallen
38 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

I get what he means, it’s a way of measuring caster, you turn the wheel out by 20deg, measure camber, turn it in by 20deg, measure camber again, add them together gives you caster angle. I’ve personally never worried too much about the actual number, but on cars with adjustable shizz it’s a useful check that you have set it equally side to side.

completely misinterpreted what he said so ignore me! (I know you normally do). 

Tom is correct.

Dynamic camber gain on 205s is crap, like most fwd cars to be honest, massive improvement to handling can be made by getting more castor. 

petert

My 205 has 6 deg of castor. I haven't measured how much, but it does pull on a considerable amount of camber. It takes a lot of mods to get up to 6, but even getting to just 4 will improve handling considerably.

Tom Fenton
11 hours ago, allanallen said:

Tom is correct.

Just saving this for future use :D

allanallen
58 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Just saving this for future use :D

AF68F205-10A9-42E3-9C10-45EEF76A64C6.jpeg

• Haha 1

Tom Fenton

BAAA HAAA HAAA

• Haha 1