• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lunatic

Pedal feel with 266mm rotors?

Lunatic

Hi,

I got my hands on 266mm Brakes from a 1999 206 GTi. I know that they will fit spot on my 205 GTi but I'm not sure about the Feeling of the brakepedal? It's a 1992 1.9 GTi with ABS. I want a decent Feeling on the pedal and nothing like a "sponge". Is the original master cylinder of the 205 able to do so?

Thanks

Daxed

Try the existing setup first and see what you think. There are mixed views with some quite happy with it. 

Personally I went for a larger diameter m/c when going to 266.

It wasn't spongy, just preferred a shorter pedal travel. 

dcc

You need to compare piston diameter

Lunatic

Is there a direct replacement master-cylinder wich works well with the 266mm?

I have heard that the models with ABS are better (in terms of pedal travel) in big brake conversion. Is that true?

RossD

I used a 22mm master cylinder from a 306 when I put my 266mm brakes on. Direct swap and the pedal feel and travel is spot on.

The master cylinder I used was a DELPHI LM21038, used on multiple PSA cars.

petert

I also agree 22mm is best for 266 calipers. I can't recall the part number, but it was a 4 port 306 model.

Lunatic

And this also works with ABS? I tried it, and i dont like the long pedal travel with the bigger brakes. Do I also neet another fluid reservoir?

Edited by Lunatic

RossD

I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't work with ABS. If you get the 306 4 port M/C as I described above then the 205 reservoir is a straight fit.

davev

I've got a 1.6gti master cylinder on mine purely for the 3 ports. And for me the pedal travel isn't much different to normal. 

My brakes were from a 306(s16 or diesel) so don't know if that makes a difference.

Lunatic
On 4/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, RossD said:

I used a 22mm master cylinder from a 306 when I put my 266mm brakes on. Direct swap and the pedal feel and travel is spot on.

The master cylinder I used was a DELPHI LM21038, used on multiple PSA cars.

Orderd it and I am afraid I got the wrong one. The drilling/boreholes on the new master cylinder is diagonal and not in line. Could it be that there are different versions of the master cylinder?

Apart from that it would not be a direct swap because the brake lines connect to the other side.

Was yours really a spot on direct swap without any other modification?

wicked

Likely you have the 206 version. They have diagonal mounting holes.

Lunatic

Apart from that... the master cylinder is a 4 port version. Is there any possibility to "close" 2 ports with a screw or something?

wicked

Yes you can, but if if you need only 2, why didn't you order a 2 port ABS master cylinder?

Blank of plugs:

VW T1 plug

RossD

If you have ordered an LM21038 and got one with diagonal mounting holes, then you have been sent the wrong one.

See here - The LM21038 is a direct fit in the 205 as it has the horizontal mounting holes.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/delphi/1761832