• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MattCPR

Gear linkages/short shift

MattCPR

The gear stick in my GTi is like a spoon in a tin of custard so was looking at options to sort it out. 

What are people’s recomendations? I’ve been looking on Peugeot Tuning website and not sure to go for just new linkages, or adding a short shift or getting the full kit of linakages, short shift and bushes. 

What are people’s opinions on this? 

Anthony

Check what's worn/loose/sloppy - usually the gear linkage quadrant bushes or the ball on the subframe loose in my experience.

Even without a quick shift or any "uprated" parts, the gear change should be pretty tight and precise on a 205 when everything is in good order - certainly better than many cable shift setups in modern cars anyway.

MattCPR

Yeah it’s feel horrible in this. I’ll try and get under it tonight and have a look. Putting it in reverse is near impossible with the gearknob hitting the handbrake 

Retroall

I'm having the same issue replaced the 3 linkages with the alloy type with retaining clip and still had the same issue, started messing around adjusting the linkage size but just made it worse !

the ball joint that you have to access through the chassis does have a bit of play on it but I thought this was normal and it's a pain to tighten 

welshpug

shouldn't have any play, its very easy to tighten up, all you need is a 13mm socket and a 150mm extension and a spanner to stop the ball from turning, putting a decent washer under the ball helps.