• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Capri_steve

Hi All

I'm wondering if there is anyone who can help me out?

I brought a 1.6 205 GTI a while ago, been a bit of a project. had an engine rebuild as it had flat cams, and head gasket had gone. But since then Myself and a friend who is a mechanic have struggled to get it to run properly/well

It all seems to be linked into the timing as we have fuel etc, but can't find a way to time it? no obvious marks etc

Is there anyone out there who knows how to do it???

Thanks in advance

Tom Fenton

Cam timing is easy to check as a first step, detailed in the Haynes manual, but its a pair of dowels in the pulleys to check it is correct.

Next step is ignition timing, there are marks on the flywheel but in practise it is difficult nigh on impossible to get a timing light in there.

Easiest way in practise is to gradually advance the ignition timing until the engine pinks under high load at low revs when driving, then back it off slightly.

However your description of not running "properly/well" doesn't really give us much to go on, what is the actual issue, typically its poor idle which can usually be adjusted out/set up.

Capri_steve

Thank you for the reply, and sorry mine is so late

It is more the idle which is the issue, i can get the car to run either reving slightly high but as soon as i try to get it to a "normal" sub 1000 revs it seems to run rough or cut out, how is the idle adjusted? as this may be the fix i've been after

Telf

I run my engine until it's warm then set the idle by adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body. Set it to 900 or so rpm. Ignition timing as Tom said. Be aware that if you have any air leaks then engine that idles ok warm will be a pig when cold.