• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

HelmutGTI

0.25mm exhaust valve way of spec?

HelmutGTI

checked my valve clearance and all where in spec at the lower range, figured my newly shimed head made em tighter.

All but exhaust valve on 3rd cylinder, it has a gap of 0.25, instead of 0.35 as minimum as spec or 0.30mm I seen people refer. Is that way of and needs a new shim, or is it ok?

// Patrik

Telf

It needs a new shim. Again I had similar issues a few weeks ago. Post fitting a torqueuing the head bolts the valve clearances will change. On mine it was no 2 and 3 that caused problems. Remove the offending shim, measure it and from that work out the size you need. If you look on the forum there is a very recent post from me regarding this. Graham listed all the possible shim sizes and the part number for each.

• Thanks 1

Roeland_Vester

yep also, call your local peugeot dealer/garage if he has some shims. Buying new is not necessary. Presumably the garage has a box labeled 'xu 8v shims'. Do exchange your old shims to keep this box stocked.

• Thanks 1

Telf

Here's that thread 

HelmutGTI
Just now, Telf said:

Here's that thread 

Thanks!

Im gonna see if I can swap shims from another valve that was on the larger scale of claerance spec.

I didnt write down the figures of the rest of the valves just confirmed they where ok, so having a retry tonight.

Otherwise ive talked to pug1off, they said they can deliver shims  in all sizes.

welshpug

post up what size you need, many members will have spares.

HelmutGTI
Just now, welshpug said:

post up what size you need, many members will have spares.

Will do!  gonna measure it this evening.

DamirGTI

You can thin them down easily if you need smaller shim .. tape an piece of 500grt sanding paper on an even/flat board , saturate the paper with WD40 or 2 stroke oil , press the shim against the paper with your fingers and spin in "8" circle motion ... re check the thickness from time to time during the "grinding" , when you're close to the desired thickness switch to the 800grt paper and do a few more final "8" spins .

I do this often when i need smaller shim thickness , or when i need/want specific thickness .

Most car parts shops over here nowadays stock various shims for adjusting valve clearances for all kinds of makes and models , so ask around as they're not OE PSA only item .

D

HelmutGTI

Thanks Pitcrew,

Will definitely try to thin it down using your technique.

Telf

They literally cost £2..

DamirGTI

If you decide to grind them , grind the bottom side of the shim which sits on the top of the valve stem .

Top shim side (goes/fits towards the lifter) has an slight radius/chamfer edge , bottom side (goes/fits on top of the valve stem) is sharp 90deg. edge .

D

ArthurH

I assume the stated 'cold' clearances are targets that have  been calculated backwards from theoretical ideal gaps on an running at full temperature.  With this in mind, what is the best temperature to measure them at?  A nominal 20°C ambient?