• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HelmutGTI

Cam belt timing guide?

HelmutGTI

Hi all!

Im in the progress of installing my new Cam Belt, tensioner, water pump etc today.

I have Haynes manual but i think its a bit  vague in the instructions and  poor pic quality, Im looking for a better Guide DIY.

Is there anything special i should  think of?

At the moment my head is mounted and torqed up, cam shaft and cam sprocket is not installed, will do of course, any tips?

Crank Sprocket is mounted with just one visible mark (a groove in the sprocket) which line up 6 o´clock no1 piston TDC and at 12 o´clock nr1 piston TDC not knowing which one is the  firing stroke.

Flywheel not installed, figure its not a must or will I have to?

Please bare with me and all my questions, This is the first time I put together a 4-cylinder engine, I'm used to 1-cylinder motorcycle engines .. much less to think about ;) 

I would like to receive all the tips and knowledge available here before installing anything incorrectly.

Attached pic of my little engine in progress.

Thank/

Patrik

file-4.jpeg

Anthony

Timing is set by pins through the crank and cam pulley, so flywheel not being fitted isn't an issue.

Rotate the bottom end so that the timing hole lines up with the slot (12 o'clock if the block is sat vertically) making sure not to disturb liners if the head isn't fitted.  This will put all the pistons half way down the bore and enable safe rotating of the camshaft without risk of valves contacting.

Rotate the cam so that the pin lines up with the hole in the head - around 7/8 o'clock from memory.  Then fit the belt and tensioner, check it's tensioned, remove pins and do a full rotation of the engine and check pins still line up.

It's actually a very simple belt to do once you've worked out what needs to be done, and the earlier spring loaded tensioner takes all the guess work out of tensioning the belt too.

Telf

Having just done this the Haynes describes the process perfectly, however heres what I did:

1.Rotate bottom to 12 o'clock and lock.

2. Rotate Cam to 7 o'clock position and lock.

3. Loosely fit the tensioner and spring.

4. Fit the belt - make note of direction of rotation arrows. Fit from the top, down the long stretch through the bottom, round the water pump and through the tensioner.

5. Let the tensioner take up the slack and tension.

6. Unpin the engine and rotate through 2 full revolutions - the pins should align again. as rotating you will feel  resistance and the long length of the belt run will feel tighter.

7. After 2 revolutions turn the engine again until you feel this extra resistance. Now tighten the Tensioner nuts and locking nut at the rear.

8. Check the long length by trying to twist it 90 degrees. You should feel some resistance.

9. Rotate again to complete the 2 remaining turns until locking holes are aligned. All should be good, you will have a feel for it all being ok by now.

Job done

Edited by Telf

Telf

Pinned and timed

Remember to fit the black plastic cover before the belt!

20180325_170639.jpg

Edited by Telf