• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HelmutGTI

Bearing cap installation

HelmutGTI

As Im now rebuilding my engine and have started to put it back together I cant seem to find any information in witch way my bearing  cap on the piston rod should install?

shall the bearing shell tab on the rod and the bearing shell tab on the cap install on the same side or shall they be installed opposit to each other? 

Hope you can understand my question, but I made hard effort to keep the parts together when dismantle but forgot to mark in witch way to re install the bearing caps on the piston rod.

Kind regards

Patrik

Telf

Having just about completed a rebuild this might help you- my thread on 8V rebuild 

Telf

If your doing your caps I'd suggest through bitter experience you check each piston big end after torqueing to ensure the engine turns freely. Read the thread and you will see the issues I had.

The tabs on the shells IIRC are opposite sides -not the same

Edited by Telf

HelmutGTI
On 2018-04-03 at 6:29 PM, Telf said:

Having just about completed a rebuild this might help you- my thread on 8V rebuild 

Thanks Telf, your thread has helped me alot. 

My engine is now pretty much done, for re mounting the Car, but thats next project thus this is a full restoration. Will take car of my transmission now, and chassis. 

This is is how my engine looks now.

I even took the time to polish the cam cover.

65ACF9B7-718C-4B6D-B3A1-5B6647327DFF.jpeg

Telf

good work, looks great- glad the thread helped you out.

Roeland_Vester

HelmutGTI, what kind of oil filter/cooler setup do you have? I thought it was either a screw on filter  for AC equipped cars, or a remote oil cooler sandwich plate and a slimmer oil filter.

Thijs_Rallye
4 hours ago, Roeland_Vester said:

HelmutGTI, what kind of oil filter/cooler setup do you have? I thought it was either a screw on filter  for AC equipped cars, or a remote oil cooler sandwich plate and a slimmer oil filter.

This is the remote DKZ (XU9JAZ) filter setup with an oil-coolant heat exchanger (and filter) on the gearbox.