Okay. After a lot of back and forth, I failed in my attempts to get an adjustable cam pulley delivered on time (I'm taking the car to scotland next monday to do the north coast 500).   First, I refitted the original cam pulley. Then I checked the timing. With the timing hole in the camshaft roughly lining up, I set the crank at 90 deg BTDC/ATDC by using a vernier caliper through the spark plug hole, taking car that I held the caliper the same way each time. This went really well, I could reliably locate this point within 0.01mm of piston movent, which translates to about 0.01 degree of crankshaft motion. The actual accuracy will be a bit less as it assumes a perfect cilinder head and perfect pistons. The crankshaft timing hole almost lined up. Piston 1 is now coming up in the exhaust stroke. The cam spec (11.5 deg btdc, 234.5deg duration) is not quite sufficient, as the lift at this duration is not given. I fitted a printed out protractor to the distributor side of the cam. With this, I measured a '-0.05mm' lift duration, by finding the points on the cam where I could just slide a 0,05mm feeler blade between the lobe and the tappet (both of piston 1 inlet valve, so valve clearance differences don't mess it up). I could reliably find this point within one degree of cam rotation. Half the difference between the mentioned duration (234.5) and measured '-0.05mm lift' duration (can't remember what it was, something like 280) is then subtracted from the -11,5 degree btdc (which is at degree 0 of 234.5), and setting the crank at this point (using the camshaft protractor and a 2:1 crank-cam rotation ratio), should allow me to just slide a 0.05mm feeler blade under it. Adding half the difference between the mentioned duration (234,5) and measured '-0.05mm lift' duration to the 46mm bbdc figure for the valve closing gave me the second point where I should be able to just slide my feeler blade between the cam lobe and piston tappet.    Luckily, it all ended up right on spec. Much ado for nothing, but I did have a nice time wrenching with my dad. It did require me to get a paper to write all the angles down, because it gets hazy if you need to convert back and forth to camshaft and crankshaft degrees and tracking everything.   I got the APK (Dutch MOT) this week, coming saturday is a 500km shakedown run, and if everything goes well, I'm on the boat monday