• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ftoomsh

205 corsa c epas column

ftoomsh

Hi guys,

Just about to get stuck into a project to fit a corsa c epas column in to my 205 mi16 tarmac rallycar.

I have the column and speed sensor controllers already but was wondering if anyone has done this mod already and could advise on which uj to fit on the bottom of the corsa column to mate to the 205 spindle (ex hydraulic pas rack)

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi. I have done this bit. Believe it or not, you can mate the upper part of the Corsa UJ to the lower part of a 205 uj by carefully driving out the bearing cups. See attached photo. All you would then need to do is to cut down the lower column as it will be too long. To that end, the Corsa B epas would be easier to use as it is shorter below the motor drive than the ‘c’ column

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

ftoomsh

Thank you... 

I was beginning think of this but wasnt sure it would be possible...

You have now confirmed this for me..

Thanks again!

ftoomsh

Worked a treat that uj tip! Thank you!

Andy

Excellent.Pleased to hear that. I guess the lower column is pretty short as yours is a Corsa ‘c’

ftoomsh

That is work in progress but i have a plan. Take the lower part of the 205 pas uj and fit to a non pas 205 uj then shorten and weld up.. 

205 pas uj has far too much vibration damping rubber than the non pas.

tcawthorne

Any advice on splitting the U/J to make the hybrid version would be appreciated. Never split staked joints before.

Thanks

Spesh

Following also, I've just ordered a corsa c column for mine

ftoomsh

You'll find a couple of indents which hold the bearings in place. Tap these out of the way with a punch or use a dremel to grind them away. Tap the bearings out carefully..and reassemble.

Spesh

Working on the assumption that I'll have to retain the corsa key and switchgear.  Also a new boss I guess?

ftoomsh

No. I cut the bracket off the 205 column and welded onto corsa column to retain the 205 stalks.. new steering wheel boss is required.

Spesh

awesome, was dreading those awful stalks lol.  What about the key/barrel? 

Spesh

having stripped both down I'm fairly confident that I can marry the top half of the 205 column to the bottom half of the corsa one.  The tube above the motor on the corsa one is just pressed in and the shaft inside is a solid bar that looks like it will slide inside a 205 shaft with perhaps a little fettling.

ftoomsh

I didn't have to worry about the ign barrel as my 205 is a rallycar. There is also a bearing at the top of the corsa column so not sure if that will cause an issue.

Spesh

Yeh I've seen that but there is also a bearing (of lesser sorts) at the top of the 205 column so I'm hoping I can make that work

uxter

I have this system on my rally car, Jim Bean in Darlington did it for me, it works a treat and he can do one for anyone who wants one. Mines on a rheostat so I can vary the assistance as I have an old shoulder injury, LSD and old age working against me!

Ironically I may have to ditch the system as I am thinking of going full on historic spec which menas std hydraulic system in most cases, I am looking into it to see if I can keep the electric system as its been on 3 years now and is such a brilliant system

Spesh

IMG_20190926_150627.thumb.jpg.1f42ab90091a7ca21580d28e3f696724.jpgt

This is where I'm up to so far, the top part of the 205 outer column will now interference fit into the ally housing of the corsa one. off to the machine shop to get a piece turned to fit the top half of the 205 inner over the corsa inner. 

205 one appears to have a slight taper in it so it's beyond my skills. 

still not 100% sure whether to weld them together or get a good interference fit with a roll pin or something. I guess I'll ask the toolmakers what they think. 

Spesh

Dropped it off the machine shop, they were not terribly happy about working on a steering column :(  However I persuaded them to carry on and their plan is to turn a bush to fit in the 205 column stub and weld that in.   There will be a keyway inside the bush and they are going to broach a keyway onto the corsa column.  At least that way it can be removed in the future if needs be, plus I'm not sure welding the corsa inner column would be a good idea whilst its all together and I've no idea how far into the motor and workings the heat would penetrate.

michael_jenkins

Hi All,

I'm looking at doing this with my XS, I currently have a Quaife Quick rack (Non-pas)

What's the best option, a Corsa C or Corsa B?

Cheers

ftoomsh

Corsa B is a slightly easier option but I went with corsa C as they are more readily available and about £100+ cheaper!!

michael_jenkins

How much can you expect to pay for a Corsa C Column? 

ftoomsh

I paid £45 incl post of ebay

Make sure it's a fixed column not adjustable though.

michael_jenkins

Thanks, I ended up getting a good deal on a Corsa B which has just arrived. 

When removing the cups/bearings do you have to replace with new bearings/cups or re-use the old ones?