• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

twocossiebob

Re-commissioning Help Required Please.

twocossiebob

Hi 205 gti owners.

First of all many thanks to all of those who helped me sort out my wiring problems. I am now fairly sure all the wires are connected in the correct locations.

You may remember from my previous posts that I am putting my 205 gti race car back together after a big accident and head gasket failure at Donington Park a year ago.

The car now starts!

It runs rough but that's no surprise to most on here I am sure particularly when you realise the SAD unit is not connected and the relevant hoses are blanked off. It has always been like this since I bought the car. I guess there is no need for a steady tick over whilst the engine is cold on a race car thus the troublesome system has been taken out of the equation.

Time is running out for me to start racing this season, the first race is this weekend so I will unfortunately be missing out.  The next race is April 21st. My own knowledge and ability to sort out the problems is also running out. Whilst the car starts I have the temperature gauge not working and the warning light is on, the oil warning light is on and the main stop light is also on, probably because of the other problems. The engine seems to be running roughly, not sure if its ok on all cylinders as I cant get it to tick over so I can investigate. Its also seems much louder than it used to be even though the exhaust is the same one as before. And so on......

Is there anyone that would be prepared to help me sort out these problems? I live close to Newbury in Berkshire and the car is in my very spacious garage with excellent lighting. Alternatively I have a trailer so I could drop the car off and leave it with someone if that suited them best? I could travel with it to anywhere in the Midlands, Southern England or South Wales. I am keen to learn more about looking after and running the car so if we did it together then great however I would also understand if this was not the most convenient way to work for someone who was kind enough to assist me.

I am very willing to pay someone for their time and advice but I simply cannot afford to pay regular garage rates. In the past Pug1Off have been very helpful but this time around after paying the damage repair bill including jigging and the engine rebuild I cannot afford their help. I don't expect the work done for free, I would just very much appreciate some help to get it done before I miss much more of the race season, otherwise all the work over the last 4 months will be in vain.

If there is anyone that can help then please message me via this site and let me know in which way you can?

Many thanks, Bob.

welshpug

newbury is about an hour or so from Miles at Pugracing.

Miles

By all means drop me a line, as only 45 mins down the road from you and can sort this out no problems at all, I started in the Stock Hatch pretty much 20 years ago now (Christ) and even beat Lee who has won the series a few times now

The removal of the SAD was common even then as it's all weight

pug_ham

With regards to the temperature & oil lights, have you got the connectors on the correct sensor?

Rough running, are the HT leads on in the right order too?

When it fires up, can you hold it on a steady throttle to get it warmed enough to see if it will tick over when warmer, although I'd look at fixing the warning lights first before running it for too long.

Miles is your man if it's more serious but try a few basic things yourself first.

post-71-0-77486700-1456665976_thumb.jpg

The HT leads fit in the order above, ignore the 16v head, the leads fit the cap in the same order on the 8v.

g