• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MattCPR

New rear shockers help

MattCPR

Rebuilding the rear end of of my 1.9 GTi, just got the rear beam off to swap everything  over to a refurbished one and realised there is 2 different shock absorbers on it and neither look any good so sourcing some new ones. What do people think to these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273103755962 

Or any other recommendations would be great. 

MattCPR

Link won’t work 

F644BA02-4BAE-4164-87EA-239EEC3121D8.png

allanallen

They’re a standard replacement damper, very similar to original spec. 

For fast road I’d look at GRP Ns, they’ll be a nice upgrade with standard rear bars.  

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/peugeot/peugeot-205/suspension/bilstein-group-n-tarmac-dampers-peugeot-205.html?___SID=U

calvinhorse

Another vote for Group Ns, absolutely transformed my car.

if they’re out of your budget, 306 Gti6 rear shocks are better than B4s, infact most stuff is better than B4s

MattCPR

Hmmmm, I’ll have a think. All the rear end stuff wasn’t planned so already spent a fortune on it but I might have to bite the bullet and get the Group N ones. To be honest it’s more of a show car so won’t be driven in anger very often, but there is always that one time when you get carried away :)

Bakes100

If you haven't got a £250 budget for rear dampers I would recommend the Xsara VTS OEM Bilsteins for fast road use. I run them with 21.3mm torsion bars on a 309 beam and they work well. Stiffer than the 205 / 306 equivalents. The older B4 rear dampers (pre 2010 ish) are the ones to avoid.

Click Me - The ones you want are the BNE-6814

Edited by Bakes100

dobboy

Are the 306/VTS dampers not a different length than the 205 items, and are more suitable for a slightly lowered car?

Bakes100

Possibly, I binned the previous dampers on mine before purchasing the new ones so I have nothing to compare against. I can measure the hole centres on the VTS dampers at full extension as a comparison. Mine is lowered about 30mm.

Edited by Bakes100

dobboy

I've got VTS  B4's, but i'm also lowered 30mm, and not had any problems.

Something tells me they are slightly different, and looking at a pic of Matts car on another thread his beam is at standard ride height. So worth him finding out "B4" :rolleyes: buying  :D.

MattCPR
5 hours ago, dobboy said:

I've got VTS  B4's, but i'm also lowered 30mm, and not had any problems.

Something tells me they are slightly different, and looking at a pic of Matts car on another thread his beam is at standard ride height. So worth him finding out "B4" :rolleyes: buying  :D.

MattCPR

Yeah. The car is running a refurbished axle at standard ride height, the whole car is as standard as possible so that’s what I’m going for really. 

SootySport
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, MattCPR said:

Rebuilding the rear end of of my 1.9 GTi, just got the rear beam off to swap everything  over to a refurbished one and realised there is 2 different shock absorbers on it and neither look any good so sourcing some new ones. What do people think to these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273103755962 

Or any other recommendations would be great. 

Where did you source the rear beam?   Was going to refurb mine but I reckon the cost of one already done would be much the same as faffing around doing it myself.

MattCPR

Got mine from IM Axle, but there are a few people on here who do them just not local to me. 

06CB033D-FC76-4C44-8F2C-8D8935511E15.jpeg

• Thanks 1

SootySport

Just had a look and at £220 I'll be buying one of them.      Cheers.

MattCPR

So do we think that some BNE 6814’s will fit on a standard ride height beam? I’m tempted to go with these to be honest as the budget for this car is quickly drying up. 

acox99

I ran them on a standard height car without any issues before I lowered it last year. 

welshpug

306 dampers have shared the same part as a 205 for a while.

i would not advise the use of imaxle.

dobboy

I bought an IM Axle for my nephews 106 a wee while ago and couldn't fault it, and their service is particularly good. 

IIRC, they'll collect the old one for free, and give extended warranty on their new axle if you give them your old one.

allanallen

My brother had a IM abase model beam tube recently, looked ok for the money if I’m quite honest. 

Miles

Under £100.00 from China those beams, mind you need to buy a few of them, Only time I would use them is on a car for Sale.  But I know when a friend of mine looked last it was pretty much £400.00 all in

MattCPR
19 minutes ago, Miles said:

Under £100.00 from China those beams, mind you need to buy a few of them, Only time I would use them is on a car for Sale.  But I know when a friend of mine looked last it was pretty much £400.00 all in

I think it’s different if you get a refurbished beam compared to a new beam. I went for a refurbished which they took mine in for swap against it. Tube, trailing arms and torsion bars definitely aren’t new but blasted and powder coated. Was still £400 but got £100 back against mine. 

SootySport

On their website, it does say Refurbished axle, with new SKF bearings, doesn't mention 'New' at all.   The £400 version is for the disc brake version, £220 for drum brake.

If anyone on this forum wants to refurb mine for a similar cost, I'd be more than happy.  PM me.

MattCPR

I spoke to them when I ordered mine. They do a New beam which is there own made with all new parts which is £400. Then they do a refurb original beam which again is £400 but you get £100 back when you send your beam in. Not sure about the drum version but guessing it’s the same 

Edited by MattCPR