• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Merlin Evans

Manual Central locking Problem on my 1990 205 gti

Merlin Evans

Hello all,

I am trying to find the fault with my manual central locking mechanism! It was working fine and then suddenly stoped. I have removed the driver door card and checked the wiring with a multimeter. I get voltage through the 3 pin plug but I get nothing through the two pin plug. I have recently required another drivers door solenoid but when attached and pluged in there's still no joy. Is this an electrical problem with the wiring feeding the two pin plug or is it something else I've missed? Any information and help to find the problem will be extremely grateful so many thanks in advance.

Anthony

Is this the earlier grey or later black central locking motor, as they function in quite different ways?

Merlin Evans

It's the earlier grey central locking motor that I have!

Merlin Evans

If anyone can help cure the problem I will be forever grateful :)

SootySport

Have you had a look at the loom in-between the A post and the door.    Old cars are prone to the wires breaking inside the rubber gaiter after a few thousand door openings.  The copper strands can also break inside the insulation but the insulation can appear intact.

Anthony

The early 4 pin central locking system is fairly simple.

On the 3 pin plug, you've got power and earth (3rd pin is not present) - so sounds like that's correct on your car.

The 2 pin plug is the output, and this directly drives the passenger door and tailgate locking motors.

If you don't get any output when you move the arm to lock/unlock, it's a problem with the drivers side locking module.  If you get output directly on the module pins but the other motors don't work with the loom connected, check the wiring.

Most faults are down to the drivers side locking module in my experience.  You can not use the later black central locking module btw - the wiring will physically fit but instantly blows the central locking fuse.