• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

HelmutGTI

More wiring questions?

HelmutGTI

Hi all, new to this forum, Im from Sweden and is currently restoring a black 1.9l 205 GTI from 1990.

I have starten to tear down the enginge bay so the engine can be removed and rebuild.

I found some qustions regarding the electrical harnesses that perhaps some of you guys can help me out with.

1.First: It semes I have an empty green conector lockatet behind the left top strut (the Car is RHD) is it a empty one or am i missing something?

2. second: I have a a white and yellow cable and a Brown with an plastig insulate nor connected to anything? Its located in the front of the engine main harness, se picture.

3. And last: striped Infront of the relays on the firewall I have a blue sensor not usefull for nothing, any ideas? Se picture.

Another question. When was the ignition coil relocated to the intakt manifold as mine is instead of being boltet to the frame next to the brake cistern?

sorry for my English but hope you understand

71F056BF-6C73-4CAB-A35A-557B527E68C6.thumb.jpeg.1bd92054d5c12b46bb32371e6ca37bc3.jpeg

1C5378D1-33F8-4FE2-87FB-41F021EB6D54.jpeg

DA6AE650-FA58-42DD-A703-FC6D9A5FBFEC.jpeg

1FF738A2-29E3-4169-B638-B0CB3CA24F41.jpeg

HelmutGTI

Sorry, my 205GTI is Left hand drive of course!

DamirGTI

Hi and welcome !

Now :

1. It's diagnostic connector

2. Pretty hard to tell , theres a lot on the picture ! read the numbers from the wires you need to identify and then we'll see ..

3. It's coolant temp. sensor , needs to be screwed in the coolant housing below the distributor

Coil , they've moved location on the inlet manifold when they added 1.9 DKZ CAT engine as well as the type of the coil - from cylindrical to square item .. around mid 1990 -> on .. if i'm not mistaken only DKZ engine has inlet mounted coil .

Square inlet manifold mounted coils are kinda prone to failing thus , suppose someone relocated it on the inner wing .

D

HelmutGTI

Thanks Damir

will read the wires and get back, weird thing is that I already have a blue sensor in coolent housing. And this spare sensor is a connected to that?

FDD8C20C-5129-4D3E-A6D7-4CB263AC6DC4.jpeg

DamirGTI

Yes ! the blue connector needs to be connected on that sensor (it's cooling temp. sensor for the ECU) gray or blue depends on the age of the sensor .. old ones where mostly gray , new ones are usually blue .

Wiring identification (when using wiring diagrams) is based on the numbers , not the wire color .. so you'll see on the each end of the wire close to it's end an number , and sometimes number and letter combination , stamp black on the wire insulator ... like say - 24B ..

Read them and report back and we'll see what they are .. if they're still visible if you can read them .

D

HelmutGTI
10 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Yes ! the blue connector needs to be connected on that sensor (it's cooling temp. sensor for the ECU) gray or blue depends on the age of the sensor .. old ones where mostly gray , new ones are usually blue .

Wiring identification (when using wiring diagrams) is based on the numbers , not the wire color .. so you'll see on the each end of the wire close to it's end an number , and sometimes number and letter combination , stamp black on the wire insulator ... like say - 24B ..

Read them and report back and we'll see what they are .. if they're still visible if you can read them .

D

Thanks again, figured my empty cables probably belongs to the starter solenoid, witch my car is missing. 

There is already a blue sensor fitted in the coolent house, it’s shows on my last pic.

here is a new pic from the part on the loom where the sensor is lockated, and also there is  some sort of fuse or resistance between the contact and the sensor.

I know this car has a retro fitted engine heater “Defa” thinking it could belong to it?

first pic is what I think starter solenoid cables,

second pic is the fuse? Connected between the temp sensor connector and the miscellaneous sensor, last picture is the bit of harness which confusing me.

629C3AA3-1891-4FE1-B6EC-3C48211CB3AB.jpeg

C5C18818-F42B-4335-9094-924B6B158BEB.jpeg

A37DA7F2-B091-4DE5-BBA6-437A73D45597.jpeg

DamirGTI

I see ! so you have two blue 2pin connectors .. that's strange ?!? mind you , the rubber boots on the connector ends looks a little bit odd for the 205 loom .. looks more like Citroen XM/xantia or Peugeot 306/406/605/806 loom as they have that kind of rubber boots on the connectors ..

Any ideas if the loom was redone at some point or the car had some engine conversion in the past ?

Starter solenoid wire is just one and it's usually blue color wire with 46A stamp  .. so it wont be any of the above wiring .

First picture : black 2pin connector can be for the EVAP solenoid or the SAD (choke) or reverse switch on the gearbox .. but i'd say it'll be EVAP solenoid being DKZ engine .. thick white connector might be power supply which plugs on the shunt box or for connecting on the cooling fans .. fuses connected in such form - really haven't seen them on 205 loom like that ?! they're usually on the shunt box itself and not single like that .

No idea on the resistor present in the wiring either .. no such thing on 205 loom .. though some base models 1.1 Spi had resistors like that  .

Read the wire numbers and we'll see whats going on !

D

Edited by DamirGTI

B1ack_Mi16

Blue connector can also be for lambdasensor, normally one blue and black connector located close to each other.

HelmutGTI

Thanks all for the help, this mystery is intriguing. Don’t know if my loom ever been changed, it actually seemes quit intact and untouched except for these puzzles? 

I was out in the garage and tried to take more pedagogical images of the questionable wirings.

first pic is the 4 loose contacts which are near the fan and the shunt box, so they may really belong there.

Note brown and orange cable are connected to the same contact.

Black 2pin connector is in fact to the EVAP.

next pic is the spare sensor which I peeled of the isolation tejp for better view.

Also tried to read the cable text which was a bit of haggle.

CE8697CF-946B-4ABC-820A-3F4D67CF83D8.jpeg

3335186C-D4F2-495B-A0D2-D5BCD24EE227.jpeg

DamirGTI

Strange :wacko: ... did an quick blast trough wiring diagram , but i cannot find any of the above wiring numbers ?!?

You mentioned some "engine heater" ? if so , could be wiring for that (option extra for colder climate market ?!) as i never seen such double coolant sensor wiring on any 205 loom .

Here , you can download wiring diagrams :

http://www.205gti.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Chapter_12_Body_electrical_system.zip

.. try to look for yourself , as i really can't find any of the above wire numbers !

D

B1ack_Mi16

It will not be related to the DEFA engine heater, which is basicly a completely standalone system with a 230v heating element maybe bolted into the water distributor at the back of the block.

MrAndy

Lambda sensor has the blue connector looking like that. And on the same area (next to the coil and sad etc)

the older ones had a separate temp sensor (ambient/intake air) looking like that in the front left corner in front of battery. The newer ones (propably your car??)have that integrated inside the MAF-unit.

-A-

btw, I have a swedish KAT-model (122hp) with the old style coil system also. 1989-model. So I think you coil is propably original, not retro fitted.

I Sweden the KAT- regulations started in 1989, in Finland two years later (1991). So those cars are different depending of where they where originally delivered.

HelmutGTI

If there is any interest!

I found out whats the spare blue sensor where for.

My car has a retrofitted radiator with an extra sensor inlet.

So my 2 coolent sensors are to be connected one in the coolent housing and one in the radiator.

Cheers for the help guys, sure will need more along the way as I tear my Pug to pieces.