• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Reddevil

Adjusting rear beam - where to jack?

Reddevil

I've read a few guides on altering the ride height on the rear, one says not to jack on the rear beam. 

My car has a tank guard (rally car) making it difficult to jack securely on the sills, I'm sure when I did this before I put axle stands under the rear beam.

From what I can see I'm not sure why supporting under the axle tube is a problem for this job, as it is located both sides to the body.

Any ideas?

jackherer

I put jacks and axle stands on the beam tube all the time.

Reddevil

So, set the rear ride height, there's some play in the RH trailing arm though, left to right, whilst the LH is OK.

I guess this means the beam is scrap?

Where is the best place these days to get a replacement 1.9 beam? Minus TBs and ARB, I would re-use those in my existing beam as they are not standard. I searched the forums but a lot of the posts are quite old and I am not sure exist any longer.

Also is there any way to easily identify if the existing beam is a 309 one?

PhilNW

Never had a problem jacking the beam and then using axle stands.

Rebuild the axle , its not difficult the is a guide on the forum

and plenty of advice on the best source of parts also on the forum  

Edited by PhilNW

Reddevil

Yup had same advice on facebook, looking at rebuild kits, thanks!

Reddevil

Hmm, I've also noticed the rear beam is a little offset towards the driver's side, only by 3mm. A 195 tyre rubs the the passenger side inner well, unless I add 5mm spacers. Is it possible to shimmy it across to centralise it in the car better?

welshpug

sounds like there is more camber on one side than the other due to excessive wear, there isnt much wiggle room at all on the mounting studs.

Reddevil

Actually the wear in the axle is on the other side which doesn't rub! The beam seems to be offset.

Anthony

The beams can fail in a variety of ways - excessive camber causing the tyre to rub on the inner arch is a well-known one, and more often than not in my experience there's little or no play evident.  The excessive negative camber should be obvious looking from behind the car if it's bad enough to rub on the inner arch/well.

The only other thing to check is that the inner arch/well hasn't been bent outwards towards the tyre by something heavy in the boot impacting it - seen that before now but wasn't immediately obvious without putting a flat against it.