• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quags

1.6 - 1.9 Skip Brown Project Restoration

Quags

Hi All,

Purchased this car in Autumn but its been sitting in a dry garage until we could start work on it.

1.6 - 1.9 Skip Brown Conversion (engine circa 1985)
Modified pistons/liners/conrods
Balanced Bottom End
Modified Gas Flowed Head
Stainless Steel Valves
High lift cam RS2013 Fast Road
Twin Dellorto 45 throttle bodies

4 into 1 manifold

S/S exhaust
Mi16 Gearbox
Power steering added
Diesel fuel tank
1.9 rear beam/discs
306 GTI front discs/calipers 

As we speak the car is at the garage - the gearbox is being removed to fit a new clutch, all the coolant hoses are going to be replaced, the oil tank will be replaced with an aluminium ones and the engine cleaned down.

Once these things are done I can begin work on the cosmetics and other items I want to attend to.

The seats will be removed and sent for refurbishment/fixing, I have a replacement red carpet to fit, I have repaired the coin tray to refit, replacement instrument binacle.  The roof paint is badly faded/scuffed, so that will need doing.  Indicators fixing, headlight replacement, new speakers etc.  This will remain a standard looking car from the outside.

I have found a couple of RR graphs which I have attached.  No idea if refer to this car, but I can't see why they'd be in with all the receipts.  Once everything is sound, I will get it RR'd to see.

I don't mind what power it has, it's not about that.  I'm just excited to drive when the clutch and leaks are fixed!

I will post more updates as they happen.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Screenshot_20170831-115652.png

PUG1.jpg

PUG2.jpg

Edited by Quags

Leslie green

Looks a nice project and seems unusual to see a Gti on carbs but I suppose the Jetronic didn't have much tuning potential so had to go. I don't think an 8v engine would be too happy at 8000 rpm though !

Edited by Leslie green

welshpug

they're fine at 8k but tend to make power well before that unless they have lots of work done, must be one hell of a cam in it!!   certainly nothing like a "fast road" if the figures are true.

petert

Get rid of the socks. They're power sucking, useless things, that will eventually get sucked in.

Quags

I don't know if those graphs pertain to the car, I thought they seemed high.

No socks on the carbs, that was when collected it.  Currently bareback :P But i've been told it needs something on there!

All I know is the cam is extremely lumpy low down, it sits on idle like an elephant on a washing machine.

Can't wait to crack on with it!

Quags

The engine work has begun!

New hoses fitted, new battery pan, new filler, air filter on carbs, new fan cowl housing, custom brackets for the filler and power steering reservoir, new clutch, all fluids changed.

Next step is to crack on with the interior.

sD3YIpP.jpg

BgOiOCJ.jpg

Edited by Quags

Quags

cYSUec7.jpg

Well work has been slow on the old girl to say the least, plus with my other project and work i've not had the time.

Typically i've been doing some cosmetic stuff first, namely the interior.

Removed the seats, took out the black carpet and replaced it with a nice red one.  Also had the seats retrimmed with vinyl and the original centres.  Looks fantastic!

K92XDaj.jpg

cYSUec7.jpg

LM67JMM.jpg

Cva2kaf.jpg

Now she's up and running, but i've been leak hunting.  There's oil all over the bottom of the engine, and seems to be on the back of the engine, possibly the rocker cover.  Are all rocker gaskets the same on GTI?

I've also discovered the coolant leak (after removing the entire front end) is not the radiator, but the fan switch that screws into the radiator.  Seems to be weeping, i pinched it up but still dripping. Don't want to wrench on it too hard as it's plastic!

FMmwDrd.jpg

Edited by Quags
Add photos

boldy205

Looks like a great project!

The distributors are prone to leaking oil too, if it's leaking at that end of the cam cover?

Quags

That's a good shout, I'll take a look! It's odd though as seems to leak oil from under the manifold, but above that, there's just a little.

I thought at first it was the sump gasket.  It still might be! I need to drain all the fluids once I find it and replace a few gaskets.

Quags

Well, the oily work begins.

I've removed the rocker cover, cleaned, replaced the gasket along with liquid gasket.  I've removed the distributor (it was only held on with one bolt), cleaned applied liquid gasket and refitted.  

Now I finally have drained the coolant and the oil.  There is some suspicious brown/creamy stuff in the oil which from my experience of my previous Lotus Elise, I know can be head gasket.  It would be surprising as the engine was rebuilt only 2k miles ago, but maybe 5 years ago.  The car has barely run in the last 3 years, mostly quick trip of 3mins down the road to keep things turning over and I know this can also cause the dreaded mayo.

I've taken some pics and would like some advice if I may.  What are peoples thoughts?  There is sludge in the bottom of the sump which is pretty disgusting and clearly hasn't had a decent change for sometime, the oil smells a bit petroly but again that can be down to short runs.

My finger shows where there was some mayo, which seems to be where a pipe goes in? Also, what is that sensor with a ragged wire hanging off?  Any help much appreciated.

IMG_20191020_143912.jpg

IMG_20191023_185214.jpg

IMG_20191023_185257.jpg

calvinhorse

Those seats are lovely! 

estland

If I remember correctly the oil level sensor had that wire. Could be broken sensor though.

fila1223
3 hours ago, estland said:

If I remember correctly the oil level sensor had that wire. Could be broken sensor though.

yup this one is broken

Edited by fila1223