• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quags

1.6 Skip Brown to Mi16 G/b Which Clutch

Quags

Hello all! Finally got round to starting the restoration of My 205 and joining here. B)

It's a 19911.6 with a Skip Brown conversion:

Bored to 1.9

Uprated pistons/liners/conrods

High lift cam

Twin throttle bodies

Mi16 Gearbox

Power steering added

Diesel fuel tank

1.9 rear beam/discs

306 GTI front discs/calipers 

It needs some tlc although is generally pretty good.  One of the items I need to sort is the clutch.  It's slipping quite badly, I'm guess the extra power is putting too much strain on it.

My question is what clutch will it have?  A 205 one or an Mi16 one? Sorry for the daft question but I'm new to this 205 world although back in the day I had a supercharged Saxo VTR. 

I'll get some pictures up soon! :wub:

I need to replace all the coolant hoses too, so any advice on which would be most helpful.

dcc

Could be either clutch. Mi16 being 215mm or a 205 8v being 200mm diameter

Btw the 1.6 and 1.9 use the same bore

Edited by dcc

Quags

Thanks Dan, I was going to get an uprated one, just wanted to be sure I got the correct one.

dcc

Take the box off and get the friction plate measured up. If its on bodies i assume its running a flywheel crank sensor pickup, leads me to believe it is a mi or gti6 flywheel, though an xu7 flywheel is 200mm with the crank sensor pickup, though not very common.

If the pickup iw on the crank pulley for the crank sensor then id suggest its an 8v item fitted.

Either way, a standard mi16 clutch coped fine my my old 2.2 engine on bodies, running a whole lot more torque and power