• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

theknudsen

How to know a 1,9 GTI hub ?

theknudsen

Hi 

I am in the middle of buying hubs from a 205 1.9 GTI, but I wondering how to see difference between compared to other hub that looks like the a 205 1,9 GTI.
For example the Peugeot 306 hubs look quite similar, but I have heard they are not.

How do I know a peugeot 205 1.9 GTI hub.
I know that the Peugeot 205 1,9 GTI has 25 splines for the driveshaft and a wheel bearing in the size. 
wide [mm]: 36 mm
Inside diameter [mm]: 42 mm
Outside diameter [mm]: 82 mm

Thanks for the help

- Martin 

pug_ham

If the hub is complete with the bearing in then you can usually identify it by the drive flange having a slot across the end. 

post-71-1195005216.jpg

I think the 306 hubs are usually plain on this flange, another identifying point could be the ABS mount more likely to be found on the 306 hub.

g

theknudsen

Thanks so far for the response. 

It is usefull information. 

SeasidePete

Apologies for resurrecting this thread! The linked post by Welshpug is very informative but I'm still left with 2 questions if I may?

1) Does anyone know if a 1.9 bearing and hub will fit into a 1.6gti hub carrier?

And 2) can I use 1.9gti lower wishbones with a hub carrier that has a screw in lower ball joint. I.e. remove the ball joint that comes with the wishbone and instead have the ball joint come down from the hub carrier as with a 405, but into a 1.9gti wishbone?

Edited by SeasidePete
Spelling

Tideee

I would say :-

1) - No - as the 82mm OD of the 1.9 bearing will not fit into the 72mm OD 1.6 hub carrier

2) - No - but have a look at Group A lower wishbones with rose-joints, which might be what your after ;)

• Thanks 1

SeasidePete

Thanks Tidee. I think I'm gonna have to source 1.9 hub carriers, bearing and hub. The car did have rose jointed wishbones but they are knackered. I have a pair of oem 1.9 wishbones which I'd like to use.

Pretty sure the car has berlingo hub carriers which I think has different caliper lug hole spacing to a 1.9 carrier so when I do source some 1.9 carriers it will also mean sourcing new brakes!

I have to laugh when trying to rebuild my Pug or id go mad! As I strip back more of what has been bodged on to it in the past I find more and more that needs fixing (lolz/grrrr/lolz)

SRDT

If you manage to find Diesel or 1.6/1.9 petrol 309 hub carriers you won't have to pay "GTI" prices.

• Thanks 1

SeasidePete

Thanks SRDT. Did all 309s come with the bigger hub and spline count on the 1.9gti shafts? The one with the 35mm nut?

Richie-Van-GTi

Never heard of berlingo having a different caliper spacing, unless is a late berlingo which i doubt would fit anyway.

The earlier stuff that will fit is pretty much 306 anyway so calipers would be fine.

• Thanks 1

SRDT
3 hours ago, SeasidePete said:

Thanks SRDT. Did all 309s come with the bigger hub and spline count on the 1.9gti shafts? The one with the 35mm nut?

All 309 with XU or XUD engines have big hubs, except for a few special cases other 309 have standard 205 hubs.

• Like 1

SeasidePete

Thanks guys for quick responses here. Much appreciated.

I must say I'm still having difficulties finding hub carriers (especially as pairs!) even when I extend my search to 309's

There are however loads of options if I look under 306 parts. 

Will 306 hub carriers fit a 1.9gti shaft?

Richie-Van-GTi

Some 306 will physically fit, check the spline count and also the ball joint size. Fit them in pairs so any effect on geometry such as camber is the same both sides 

• Thanks 1

Tom Fenton
21 hours ago, Richie-Van-GTi said:

Some 306 will physically fit, check the spline count and also the ball joint size. Fit them in pairs so any effect on geometry such as camber is the same both sides 

Whilst yes they will physically fit (as long as they are the 16mm ball joint type not the 18mm type) they give positive camber and will make the car drive like total s*it!! Don't do it!!

Allan at Bridgecraft Motorsport can machine the 306 uprights to correct the camber to suit a 205 as an option.