• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Nobbly

Picture Quiz - GTI jigsaw

Nobbly

Hi GTI’ers!

So I have bought a 1.6GTI in pieces in a classic unfinished project stylee. The kind chap I bought it from has done loads of good work and had lots of parts zinc plated and powder coated. They are all boxed up lovely but...

I don’t know where most of them go....

Zinc parts only so far readers - powdered bits are still boxed.

Answers if you have them please!

Cheers,

Nobbly

A8C6E218-95C3-402A-A519-AD8795DA89AE.jpeg

333EA7A0-3DC9-44C1-AE2F-47AAAB093A49.jpeg

Nobbly

I also think I’m missing a couple of bits...

just about to fit the oil pump and according to servicebox there is a little spacer plate and a seal or something that goes between the pump and the block. I can get the plate but the other bit is NFP, so I need one, whatever it is!

Also seem to be missing the oil strainer that goes in the head to protect the cam journals.

Anyone advise where I can get them??

7DE4A319-35BD-4430-8196-4D7FCC6F8657.jpeg

CC5C76C3-47B1-42F3-81CD-FAB71AAD021D.jpeg

jackherer

1 is a power steering pipe that goes from the pinion to the ram on the rack itself.

3 are the top radiator clips.

8 goes on the firewall above the exhaust and 9 clips two coolant hoses to it.

14 is the fuel filter bracket

18 is a gear rod end heat shield I think.

Tom Fenton

4 holds the relay box on the NS turret

5 fits on the gearbox bolts and carries the wiring loom

6 I think goes behind the dash to carry the wiring loom

7 I recognise but can’t think where it goes

8 & 9 carries the water hoses on the bulkhead

10 is the closure plate to the cambelt cover to the head

11 is the flywheel timing marker

12 throttle cable abutment to inlet manifold

13 engine lifting eyes

14 fuel filter bracket

15 & 16 pas reservoir and shunt box to slam panel

19 is the pas pump to block bracket

Telf

the  strainer cant be bought anymore- I just didn't bother fitting mine on my current engine build- I think its only used during the intial start then its bypassed (that's what I believe!)

So keep everything clean and it will be fine.

Telf

have the seals been fitted on the wet liners?

Telf

I've just fitted the oil pump - its an L shaped plate and a metal grommet (that's not the right word! but its name escapes me!) that positions the plate and pump.

The item you cant get is the same as the spacer that you can see on the bottom right and top left of the top of the engine if memory serves.

At least I think that's how it went together- its been a month or so since I built it.

Edited by Telf

Nobbly
1 hour ago, Telf said:

the  strainer cant be bought anymore- I just didn't bother fitting mine on my current engine build- I think its only used during the intial start then its bypassed (that's what I believe!)

So keep everything clean and it will be fine.

1 hour ago, Telf said:

have the seals been fitted on the wet liners?

Hi Telf,

Yes, liner heights checked and seals fitted. I’m an ex-truck mechanic so wet liners are familiar to me.

Worth asking the question though!!

Nobbly
1 hour ago, Telf said:

I've just fitted the oil pump - its an L shaped plate and a metal grommet (that's not the right word! but its name escapes me!) that positions the plate and pump.

The item you cant get is the same as the spacer that you can see on the bottom right and top left of the top of the engine if memory serves.

At least I think that's how it went together- its been a month or so since I built it.

Do you mean the locating dowels for the head?

Nobbly
11 hours ago, jackherer said:

1 is a power steering pipe that goes from the pinion to the ram on the rack itself.

Awesome, cheers Jack!

Nobbly
11 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

13 engine lifting eyes

14 fuel filter bracket

Double awesome Tom!!

You guys are fast on GTI Drivers ;-)

Leslie green

Mine came in bits too and I hadn't found out what number 5 was till now , what shape is the shell in if all this is done, is it painted already ?

Telf
2 hours ago, Nobbly said:

Do you mean the locating dowels for the head?

yep!

Dowel that's the word!

Telf

I'm not a massive fan of this thing for Coating everything- My Rebuilt engine is using all the old bolts and I've just cleaned them up and refitted them - it all seems a bit pointless and bonkers .

Great that someone's done it for you but for me its a little weird. Maybe its me that's odd!

Nobbly
1 hour ago, Leslie green said:

Mine came in bits too and I hadn't found out what number 5 was till now , what shape is the shell in if all this is done, is it painted already ?

The shell is stripped out and very solid, it was a Cat C in 2005 (very minor damage to o/s/r quarter/bumper/tailgate) and has been dry stored since needing only a very small patch on the n/s inner wing.  The PO has already been through the brakes and suspension (new brakes, wheel bearings, subframe powder coated etc.), so I plan to repaint the engine compartment and get the shell rolling to enable the paintshop to do the business with the outside.

Then bolt all the twinkly bits back on :-)

Nobbly

Superb list so far...

2 ???

13 engine lifting eyes

17 ???

Any answers for number 2 and number 17??

Leslie green

Hi Nobbly are you fixing this to keep as a cat c marker against the car will severely limit its resale value in the future as it will put most buyers willing to pay decent money off  straight away.  Given the relatively low cost of resto projects still but high cost of restoration it might be an idea to look for another shell  and transfer all the shiny bits over and sell what you don't need to recover the cost before you get too far in cost wise.

It matters not what the damage was or how minor it was it will have a cat c marker forever more and there are no shortage of cars for sale now and well into the future that have a clear history.

Edited by Leslie green

Telf

theres a shell for sale on Fleabay for £1000 at the mo

hoodygoodwood

I don't recognise 5 and 7 as I have 309's and they are not fitted on those ( iirc ) but number 2 looks like the bracket fitted to the cam cover bolt nearest the cam pulley , there is a plastic clip that fixes the fuel hose to it .

• Like 1

Nobbly
3 hours ago, Leslie green said:

Hi Nobbly are you fixing this to keep as a cat c marker against the car will severely limit its resale value in the future as it will put most buyers willing to pay decent money off  straight away.  Given the relatively low cost of resto projects still but high cost of restoration it might be an idea to look for another shell  and transfer all the shiny bits over and sell what you don't need to recover the cost before you get too far in cost wise.

It matters not what the damage was or how minor it was it will have a cat c marker forever more and there are no shortage of cars for sale now and well into the future that have a clear history.

Hi Leslie,

Yep she's a keeper, I always wanted a 205GTI and this was just the job - I've been around cars long enough to know that this will be an absolute corker, yet for what I paid I could only have got a rotten old dog.  When done I'll have a rot-free shell with 79k miles, an engine with zero miles, refurbished running gear, fresh paint and a re-trimmed interior for less than £4k.  It'll take a bit of graft, but I'm happy with that.

As for the clear history - these things are all 25+ years old and plenty have 'history'!!  My history is recorded that's all - there will be plenty of '3rd party insured, repaired on the cheap' but unrecorded cars out there for £££ more, I know which I'd rather have.

I'm aware that plenty of folks won't touch a recorded car with a barge pole and that's their prerogative.  To me, for a car of this vintage it isn't an issue if the car is honest.

Nobbly

@Telf

The motor does look very twinkly with all its yellow zinc jewellery though ;-)

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

Leslie green

Looks well that does Nobbly, I see Electroplate uk gets a good few mentions on here , Id like to get some bolts and brackets done for rebuilding my engine soon too , can't beat a bit of bling !

• Like 1

Telf
3 hours ago, Nobbly said:

The motor does look very twinkly with all its yellow zinc jewellery though ;-)

Yep very nice- it just doesn't do anything for me. I know for a fact mine will be covered in so much crap there is no point in worrying - as long as it performs properly that's good enough for me.

jackherer

I was never that keen on it until I saw an original brochure that showed the engine covered in yellow zinc plated steel parts.

205gtibrochure.thumb.jpg.56c8292ffab4d4ca03d936cd999442c1.jpg

Even then I am not 100% sure, the brochure shows it looking very shiny but were they ever actually like that when new? And for that matter did they originally come with red HT leads too?

• Like 1

Telf

I saying no they didn't- I owned one that was second hand from my brother in 1993, only had 40k on the clock but I still wanted a laser green 1.9. I remember going to look at one in a pug dealer that was 'used' with about 5K on it

Didn't look all shiny like the brochure- at least I don't remember it being!

Also LoL look at that ignition amp, key and spark plug graphic!! haha that's funny!

• Haha 1