• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

twocossiebob

Under Bonnet Wiring Help Requested

twocossiebob

Please can any of the forum members help me out?

12 months ago I crashed my 205 gti 1.6 8v whilst racing in the Classic Stock Hatch championship at Donington Park. I hit a concrete barrier with the passenger side front corner and did a lot of damage, luckily I was ok. The front corner of the car was a real mess and at the same time the head gasket went as well! I got the car home and stripped it out to see how bad it was. As it was so bad I lost heart in it and just left it in my garage. 

Now recently I have started to get interested again and made good progress in sorting the car out. I have rebuilt the engine, repaired the chassis rail, replaced part of the inner wing and front panel, got it all pulled and jigged correctly along with fitting a replacement outer wing. I have put it all back together but now I have a problem with some of the wiring. As its a year ago since I took it apart I have forgotten how some of the wiring connects or if it needs connecting at all?

Take a look at the pictures attached. See the red, brown and yellow plug connectors, where do they go? The red plug is 3 pin with 3 wires, the brown plug is 3 pin but only has 2 wires whilst the yellow plug as 2 pins with 2 wires. Is the yellow one for the fog light so I can for get about it in my case? The red and brown plugs must go somewhere in the nearside front corner? By the way the black box in the picture is just a terminal unit to my battery isolator in the car so it won't be there on a road car.

In addition to the above there is a yellow wire in the third picture with its end missing, where does this go?

There is also a heavy duty grey plug a shown in the fourth picture, where does that go? It has the end changed so may not be original? It comes up from the fan motor area but now all the front is back on I cannot see exactly where from. Do I need this or not?

Finally there is a 2 pin 2 wire black plug which has a label on it saying "thermostat" but I can't see anywhere to connect it? This is shown in the sixth and seventh pictures.

My car is based on a 1992/J registration car. 

I am located in Thatcham, near Newbury, Berkshire so if anyone is relatively close to me and wouldn't mind a drive out in the 205 gti so I can compare the wiring in the two cars side by side that would also be a great help. I would be happy to cover the cost of someones fuel if there was any one who could spare me a hour at my house?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Having done so much I really want to get out and race the car again this season as soon as I can.

Thanks, Bob.

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

johniban

They grey plug goes into the bottom of the shunt box on the front panel

johniban

That loom looks aright mes to be honest, id take it all out a start again

twocossiebob

Hi johniban, thanks for your reply.

I already have the grey plug in the shunt box, see the last picture, so it can't be that one or can it? It must go somewhere else or is possibly not required?

The loom looks untidy but its always been like that, the additional isolator and timing transponder wires don't help it look tidy. Its all complete and obviously was running like it a year ago. I don't have the electrical knowledge to sort it out, hence my questions here. I have done the engine rebuild and sorted the crash damage but now I am struggling. 

If you have any further ideas it would be much appreciated.

Anyone else?

jackherer

My guess is that is part of the radiator fan loom which is self contained, it just connects to the fan, the temp sensor in the rad, the shunt box and a ground connection. The problem is the blue and green/yellow wire it is connected to looks like household 240v wiring so who knows what has been done with it.

If it is the fan loom you should be able to isolate it from everything else and then it is very simple to get your head around as it has so few connections.

jackherer

Actually I've seen household wire like that on 205 fan looms before, usually when people have tapped into the wiring to add a manual override switch for the fan in the cabin.

Leslie green

The black 2 pin is maybe for the "sad valve" which is bolted on the thermostat block on passenger side of engine below dissy. The brown 3 pin is a fan test plug and not used from what I remember .The red plug must be of later cars don't think mine has a red plug .

twocossiebob

Many thanks Leslie.

The brown connection will be left as it is, probably unused. The black 2 pin connector is indeed from the SAD valve, thanks for that. I will strip the front grill out and investigate the grey plug further unless anyone else has any other suggestions? 

Does any one know where the red plug should go? Mine is a 1992/J based car.

Can anyone confirm the yellow 2 pin plug is for the spotlight if I had them fitted?

Any suggestions as to where the yellow wire should go????

Many thanks, Bob.

Leslie green

yellow 2 pin looks too short to reach to spotlight though then do use a yellow plug too .Maybe wither sidelight bulb in headlight ?

I had similar issues with grey plug ,It was  plugged into the shunt box like yours but the grey plug from fan should plug into a similar grey plug thats maybe why you have one spare .(It was a while ago and Ive the engine out now and all disconnected again).

twocossiebob

I have now noticed there is a spare yellow 2 pin plug on the drivers side as well. Does this mean they are both for the spotlights using an extension down to the light?

Could any one check this for me please?

Also still puzzled by the red 3 pin connector plug and the yellow wire that come from the shunt box but is loose at the other end?

Thanks, Bob. 

Ryan

The red 3-pin plug is only used if you have air conditioning or a diesel model with twin fans. Otherwise it's left unconnected.

If you're got matching yellow 2-pin plugs on both sides that they sound like the ones for the spot lamps.

twocossiebob

Thanks Ryan, that's a great help.

Now I am mainly concerned about the yellow wire. Not sure where it goes and what sort of connection it should have on its end? It does come from the shunt box.

Does anyone have an suggestions for this wire?

Thanks, Bob. 

johniban

Is that yellow wire live or Earth?

Whats not working that it may go to?

twocossiebob

Johniban, I don't know if the yellow wire is supposed to be live or an earth.

I have not tried tried to start the engine or put power on the loom yet as there were so many wires not connected. Now I have eliminated some thanks to the help from you and other guys on this site.

I want to connect all the wires correctly if I can before trying to start the engine. As its been stripped and rebuilt completely including all the ignition and timing then many things could stop it starting. By sorting as many of the wires out a possible give it the best chance of starting, running and not doing any damage mechanically or electrically.

If I can get someone to point me in the right direction with the yellow wire in the next day or so then great. If not I may do as you suggest, put power on the loom and see if the yellow wire shows power or not. I still won't know where it is supposed to go.

Does anyone else have this medium sized yellow wire coming out of their shunt box mounted on the slam panel and if so could you look were it goes to????

Thanks, Bob.

Tom Fenton

IS it connected by a ring terminal on one end of the shunt box, if so it’s the live feed to the rest of the car and should be connected to the battery positive.

Ryan

I can't quite tell from the pictures, but the yellow wire looks like it might be coming out of the fan loom.

pug_ham
On 17/02/2018 at 5:05 PM, twocossiebob said:

I have now noticed there is a spare yellow 2 pin plug on the drivers side as well. Does this mean they are both for the spotlights using an extension down to the light?

Could any one check this for me please?

Have you got wing side repeaters fitted?

These usually plug into a smaller link loom that feeds the side & front indicators on each side separately, a simple add on from when they didn't have the wing repeaters.

There is a number on the yellow wire, can't make it out in the picture but what does it say?

g

Tom Fenton
1 minute ago, pug_ham said:

Have you got wing side repeaters fitted?

These usually plug into a smaller link loom that feeds the side & front indicators on each side separately, a simple add on from when they didn't have the wing repeaters.

There is a number on the yellow wire, can't make it out in the picture but what does it say?

g

I'm sure brown plugs are the indicators, yellow are driving lamps.

pug_ham
1 minute ago, Tom Fenton said:

I'm sure brown plugs are the indicators, yellow are driving lamps.

Actually, yes, I think you might right Tom.

The wires out of the back of the driving lamps are quite long & from what I can remember when I replaced burnt out wires on my car of the same year, the driving lamps wires are brown, again, can you see a number on the wires near the plug?

g

welshpug

yellow plug is driving lamps as mentioned, red plug is a switched live for twin fan looms, brown plug is for the fan low speed resistor or the dim dip resistor, the plug is the same for both, the resistor for the fan has a socket straight in the top of it and should be on a metal clip on the top edge of the radiator.

The dim dip resistor is on the front panel near the horn, below the nearside headlamp also on a metal clip but the resistor has a short fly lead to a socket.

yellow wire looks as mentioned may be the car's positive feed to the shunt box, need to trace that back to confirm but should have a ring terminal onto the shint box pictured.

large grey plug is part of the fan loom and is the main fan connection, it wont plug into the bottom of the shunt box, there is a large plug half way along the loom.

twocossiebob

Update.

Thanks to all on this site who are helping me make progress with my wiring.

The yellow connector is for the spotlights which I don't have.

The black connector was for the SAD unit.

The red connector is for air conditioning which I don't have unless anyone suggests its for anything different?

Now the problems.....

The yellow wire is actually yellow/green with I think M 57 printed on it. It's thinner than the main wire feeding the shunt box from the battery, its not that one. It comes out of the shunt box from the grey plug along with two white wires which are sorted. Where is it supposed to go please? As its yellow and green is it just an earth back to the battery or a ground on the body??? 

I don't have a wiring diagram showing the wire colours, does anyone? It would be a help.

Finally the grey plug with the blue wire and the yellow/green wire is indeed direct from the fan motor and it is the original wiring. The problem is I have nowhere to plug it in. It does have a fixing on the back of the plug which would suggest it was mounted on the body somehow but where and to what is a mystery. I am wondering if this got lost in the crash and the strip down after it? I have repaired the loom in several places but there was not anywhere to plug this grey plug into. As the grey plug was fixed back on to the fan wire I assume it was plugged in somewhere? Without it the fan certainly won't run. Could anyone help with this please?

Once again if anyone could have a look at their own car and let me know or if you just happen to know it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.

twocossiebob

Update.

Thanks to all on this site who are helping me make progress with my wiring.

The yellow connector is for the spotlights which I don't have.

The black connector was for the SAD unit.

The red connector is for air conditioning which I don't have unless anyone suggests its for anything different?

The brown connector now has the dimming resistor connected to it.

Now the problems.....

The yellow wire is actually yellow/green with I think M 57 printed on it. It's thinner than the main wire feeding the shunt box from the battery, its not that one. It comes out of the shunt box from the grey plug along with two white wires which are sorted. Where is it supposed to go please? As its yellow and green is it just an earth back to the battery or a ground on the body??? 

I don't have a wiring diagram showing the wire colours, does anyone? It would be a help.

Finally the grey plug with the blue wire and the yellow/green wire is indeed direct from the fan motor and it is the original wiring. The problem is I have nowhere to plug it in. It does have a fixing on the back of the plug which would suggest it was mounted on the body somehow but where and to what is a mystery. I am wondering if this got lost in the crash and the strip down after it? I have repaired the loom in several places but there was not anywhere to plug this grey plug into. As the grey plug was fixed back on to the fan wire I assume it was plugged in somewhere? Without it the fan certainly won't run. Could anyone help with this please?

Once again if anyone could have a look at their own car and let me know or if you just happen to know it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob.

jackherer

Wires beginning with M are grounds, or 'masse' in French. The colours are inconsistent between years, you have to go by number really. Do you have a Haynes? That has diagrams with wire numbers, if you hunt about you can download it as a PDF.

twocossiebob

Hopefully the final leg now....

The grey plug with the blue wire and the yellow/green wire is indeed direct from the fan motor and it is the original wiring. The problem is I have nowhere to plug it in. It does have a fixing on the back of the grey plug which would suggest it was mounted on the body somehow but where and to what is a mystery. I am wondering if this got lost in the crash and the strip down after it? I have seem pictures of a brown plug that would connect to my grey one but the brown plug is nowhere to be seen on my loom, or at least I seem unable to find it.

I have repaired the loom in several places but there was not anywhere to plug this grey plug into. As the grey plug was fixed back on to the fan wire I assume it was plugged in somewhere? Without it the fan certainly won't run.

Could anyone help with this please?

Thanks, Bob.

IMG_0980.JPG

Tom Fenton

The fan wiring is a small self contained section. Start at the thermoswitch on the radiator and follow the wiring from that and you should find the other end that the fan plugs into.